Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

How to change a timing chain for a chryler sebring 2.

how to change a timing chain for a chryler sebring 2.7
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Below are directions:

TIMING CHAIN COVER:

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Drain the cooling system.
  4. Remove the coolant pressure container.
  5. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  6. Remove the right front wheel and belt splash shield.
  7. Remove the accessory drive belts.
  8. Remove the crankshaft vibration damper.
  9. Remove the Air Conditioning (A/C)/alternator belt tensioner/bracket assembly.
  10. Disconnect the heater hose from the tube at the right front frame rail area.
  11. Lower the vehicle.
  12. Remove the screws securing the heater supply tube to the right frame rail. Reposition the heater supply tube.
  13. Place a floor jack with a wooden block under the oil pan to support the engine.
  14. Remove the right engine mount.
  15. Remove the upper timing chain cover bolts.
  16. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  17. Remove the remaining bolts securing the timing chain cover to the engine.
  18. Remove the timing chain cover.
  19. Discard the timing chain cover gasket.
  20. Remove the front crankshaft oil seal from the cover.

To install:

1. Inspect and clean the timing chain cover sealing surfaces.
  2. Before installing the timing cover gasket, apply a 1 / 8 inch bead of MOPAR® Engine RTV GEN II to the parting lines between the oil pan and cylinder block.
  3. Install the timing cover and gasket. Tighten the M10 cover bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm) and the M6 bolts to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
  4. Install the front crankshaft oil seal using Special Tool 6780-2 sleeve and 6780-1 installer.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Install the right engine mount.
  7. Install the screws attaching the heater supply tube to the right front frame rail area.
  8. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  9. Connect the heater hose to the supply tube at the right front frame rail area.
  10. Install the A/C and alternator belt tensioner/bracket assembly.
  11. Install the crankshaft vibration damper. Refer to Crankshaft Damper, removal & installation.
  12. Install the accessory drive belts.
  13. Install the belt splash shield and the right front wheel. Tighten the wheel lug nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (136 Nm).
  14. Lower the vehicle.
  15. Install the coolant pressure container.
  16. Fill the cooling system to the proper level.
  17. Connect the negative battery cable.

TIMING CHAIN:

2.7L Engine

3. Drain the cooling system.
  4. Remove the upper intake manifold.
  5. Remove the cylinder head covers, Crankshaft damper, and timing chain cover.
    WARNING When aligning timing marks, always rotate engine by turning the crankshaft. Failure to do so will result in valve and/or piston damage.
  6. Align the crankshaft sprocket timing mark to the mark on the oil pump housing. The mark on the oil pump housing is 60° After Top Dead Center (ATDC) of number 1 cylinder.
    WARNING When the timing chain is removed and the cylinder heads are still installed, DO NOT rotate the camshafts or crankshaft without first locating the proper crankshaft position. Failure to do so will result in valve and/or piston damage.
  7. Remove the power steering pump and bracket as an assembly. Do not disconnect power steering lines from pump. Reposition pump and support with suitable retaining strap.
  8. Remove primary timing chain tensioner retainer cap and tensioner from right cylinder head.
  9. Disconnect and remove camshaft position sensor from left cylinder head.
  10. Remove timing chain guide access plugs from cylinder heads.
    NOTE When camshaft sprocket bolts are removed, the camshafts will rotate in a clockwise direction.
  11. Starting with the right camshaft sprocket, remove the sprocket attaching bolts. Remove camshaft damper (if equipped) and sprocket.
  12. Remove left side camshaft sprocket attaching bolts and remove sprocket.
  13. Remove lower chain guide and tensioner arm.
  14. Remove the primary timing chain.

To install:

1. Inspect all sprockets and chain guides. Replace if worn.
  2. If removed, install the right and left side short chain guides. Tighten the attaching bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
  3. Align the crankshaft sprocket timing mark to the mark on the oil pump housing.
    NOTE Lubricate the timing chain and guides with engine oil before installation.
  4. Place the left side primary chain sprocket onto the chain so that the timing mark is located in between the 2 (plated) timing links.
  5. Lower the primary chain with left side sprocket through the left cylinder head opening.
    NOTE The camshaft sprockets can be allowed to float on the camshaft hub during installation.
  6. Loosely position the left side camshaft sprocket over the camshaft hub.
  7. Align the timing (plated) link to the crankshaft sprocket timing mark.
  8. Position the primary chain onto water pump drive sprocket.
  9. Align the right camshaft sprocket timing mark to the timing (plated) link on the timing chain and loosely position over the camshaft hub.
  10. Verify that all chain timing (plated) links are properly aligned to the timing marks on all the sprockets.
  11. Install the left side lower chain guide and tensioner arm. Tighten the attaching bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
    NOTE Inspect the O-ring on the chain guide access plugs before installing. Replace O-rings as necessary.
  12. Install the chain guide access plugs to cylinder heads. Tighten the plugs to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
    NOTE To reset the primary timing chain tensioner, engine oil will first need to be purged from the tensioner.
  13. Purge the oil from the timing chain tensioner using the following procedure:
    1. Place the check ball end of the tensioner into the shallow end of Special Tool 8186.
    2. Using hand pressure, slowly depress the tensioner until the oil is purged from the tensioner.

14. Reset the timing chain tensioner using the following procedure:
    1. Position the cylinder plunger into the deeper end of Special Tool 8186.
    2. Apply a downward force until the tensioner is reset.
      NOTE If oil was not first purged from the tensioner, use slight finger pressure to assist the center arm pin of Special Tool 8186 to unseat the tensioners check ball.

WARNING Ensure the tensioner is properly reset. The tensioner body must bottom against the top edge of Special Tool 8186. Failure to properly perform the resetting procedure may cause tensioner jamming.

15. Install the reset chain tensioner into the right cylinder head.
  16. Position the tensioner retaining plate and tighten the bolts to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
  17. Starting at the right cylinder bank, first position the camshaft damper (if equipped) on camshaft hub, then insert a 3 / 8 inch square drive extension with a breaker bar into the intake camshaft drive hub. Rotate the camshaft until the camshaft hub aligns to the camshaft sprocket and the damper attaching holes. Install the sprocket attaching bolts and tighten to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
  18. Turn the left side camshaft by inserting a 3 / 8 inch square drive extension with a breaker bar into the intake camshaft drive hub and rotate the camshaft until the sprocket attaching bolts can be installed. Tighten sprocket bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
  19. Rotate the engine slightly clockwise to remove the timing chain slack, if necessary.
  20. Activate the timing chain tensioner by using a flat bladed pry tool to gently the pry tensioner arm towards the tensioner slightly. Then release the tensioner arm. Verify the tensioner is activated (extends).
  21. Install the power steering pump and bracket assembly.
  22. Install the camshaft position sensor and connect the electrical connector.
  23. Install the timing chain cover, Crankshaft damper, and cylinder head covers.
  24. Install the upper intake manifold.
    NOTE After the installation of a reset tensioner, engine noise will occur after initial start-up. This noise will normally disappear within 5-10 seconds.
  25. Fill the cooling system to the proper level.
  26. Connect the negative battery cable
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

sorry, forgot timing chain diagram:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do u have pix of how to do this

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

labor time for this job is around 7hours. Factory directions dont provide much in the way of photos or diagrams as it assumes the person doing the job has moderate to very good mechanical knowledge and skills

here are only diagrams available for procedure:

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Removal and installation of the accessory drive belt-2.7L Engine shown

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Exploded view of the timing chain drive assembly-2.7L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. After the timing chain is installed, the timing marks should be aligned-2.7L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Using the Tensioner Resetting Special tool, to purge the oil from the tensioner-2.7L engine