garrtim
garrtim, service manager
Experience:  20+ years chrysler certified

Voyager: PCM..I jump auto shutdown relay..ignition key..disconnect

Customer Question

94 Plymouth Voyager, 3.3 L. Engine will turn over, but will not start. PCM problem?

1 st checked fuel pump and found it not activating unless I bypass relay by jumping connection, fuel pump will also activate if I jump auto shutdown relay.

I then tried to retrieve engine codes with ignition key, on, off, on, off, on... but no codes display, not even the battery disconnect code. Is there fuse to check or other way to troubleshoot why no codes showing up?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  garrtim replied 4 years ago.
hello, remove the 60 way firewall connector out under hood -- look into this connector and inspect for corroded wires-- where this is located the washer fluid can/over time penetrate and rot out connection in the connector -- we use to see this alot on this year van
garrtim, service manager
Experience: 20+ years chrysler certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, checking now, looks like i will have to remove washer fliud canister to get to it.
Expert:  garrtim replied 4 years ago.

keep me posted?

if this is it you will see green corrosion when connector is disconnected

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, disconnected and all looks very clearn, no signs of corrusion.

Also, if i accept answer, can i still ask follow question? 1st time use of system...

Expert:  garrtim replied 4 years ago.

yes-- just do not close question

this connector was screw directly to the firewall left side?

you have to remove black tape to get it apart?

have you checked for power at the pcm and ground at the pcm?

one other know failure is the crank sensor

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Connector was screwed to firewall, just behind wsher canister, rubbr gasket forming seal to keep dry, no signs of corrosion...

is pcm near the battery, attached to driver side fender and below the fuse/relay box?

I have wiring diagram, I see ignition feed for pcm on pin 9 and power ground on 11 and 12. Not sure how to actually check for power and ground.

I'm guessing to check power to pcm that i remove connector to pcm, turn ignition to on, take volt meter and connect from pin 9 and other end of volt meter to battery gournd?

how do i check for ground?

Expert:  garrtim replied 4 years ago.
yes-- use a test light hook clip to battery ground to test for power-- and opposite for ground-- and yes check disconnected
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Used test light to check for power and ground - checked out ok for both.

I understand how crank sensor may affect not starting condition and will try to check that., but still concerned that I am not able to display any codes from PCM, I know it worked a few weeks ago.

Expert:  garrtim replied 4 years ago.
if no response from controller-- and we have power and ground -- then controller is no good
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, found the "Engine" fuse was blown... all is well now.
Expert:  garrtim replied 4 years ago.
great--problem solved