sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

How to disarm 2000 sebring jxi alarm system

Customer Question

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What kind of problems are you having?

Did the problems start right after doing any work to the car?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We recently lost master key and remote and only have the valet key. The alarm was actaved by mistake. We can start the car but the alarm sounds and will not stop.

What type of key did you always use to start the car? Did it have a thick gray head?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes

The valet key has a grey head but it does not turn off alarm. I don't know why.

If the key you always used had a thick gray rubbery head that means the car has the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIM). This key uses a transponder chip which has to communicate with a module in the steering column, which then communicates with the engine controller to allow you to start and run the engine. If an unprogrammed key is used the car won't be able to start and stay running. If the other key you have isn't a SKIM key that was programmed to the car by a dealer then it's not going to start the car. It sounds like the other key you are using either isn't a SKIM key or isn't programmed to the car.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does start the car but does not stop alarm from sounding. Is there a way to deactavate the alarm?

The car starts and stays running? Then the key is programmed and isn't a valet key.

On the back of each lock cylinder in the front doors and trunk are disarm switches for the factory security (VTSS). Unlocking the doors with the key will disarm the VTSS. Try the driver's door, and if that doesn't work then try the passenger door and the trunk.

If you have an aftermarket alarm these things aren't going to work. There may be a disarm switch of some sort on the dash or under the dash if the alarm is aftermarket.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The valet key will not open trunk. It does unlock the driver door and start the car but the alarm sounds. Is there a way to disable the alarm?

You did unlock the driver's door with the key right?

Do you have a lock cylinder in the passenger door? Try unlocking the passenger door if it does have a lock cylinder.

If it doesn't have a lock cylinder or the key doesn't work in the passenger door either then you will either need to buy a key fob and have it programmed to the car or fix the inoperative disarm switch in the driver's door.