Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  25 years certified Chrysler technician and ASE Certified Master Technician
12365498

Chrysler Pacifica: Gas gage..drops..tank..Cant put gas in

Customer Question

Chrysler Pacifica 08.. Gas gage drops from 1/2 tank to empty. Can't put gas in. You can get about 3 gallons in, pump shuts of, wait a couple of minutes and you can pump another gallon, pump shuts off, wait a couple of minutes, pump shuts off and etc. May take you 20 minutes to get the tank full. The vehicle has been taken to a Chrysler dealer MANY times for this problem and they said they have replaced everything there is to replace, gas tank, pumps, sensors and etc. You can put 3 gallons in the tank when empty and it will take you to 3/4 tank. But the main problem is NOT BEING ABLE TO PUMP GAS INTO THE TANK
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Chrysler. I found a service bulletin related to your fuel filling problem, and hope the dealer followed this information. I wonder if they replaced the fuel filler neck because that is one of the things it could be according to this bulletin. Call the dealer and ask them if they followed this bulletin exactly as stated. If not, then you may want to have them do that or find another dealer. Here is a copy of this for you and your dealer to read, and I hope this helps,

Chris

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 14-001-09, DATED

APRIL 15, 2009, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A

COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT

REVISIONS.

SUBJECT:

Hard To Fill With Fuel Or Fuel Nozzle Shuts Off Repeatedly

MODELS:

2004 -2008 (CS) Pacifica

2009 (DS) Ram Truck (1500)

2007 - 2009 (DH) Ram Truck (1500/2500 Pick Up)

2004 - 2009 (DR) Ram Truck (1500 / 2500 Pick Up)

2005 - 2009 (HB) Durango

2007 - 2009 (HG) Aspen

2005 - 2009 (ND) Dakota

2009 (JC) Journey

2007 - 2009 (JK) Wrangler

2007 - 2009 (J1) Sebring (China CKD)

2007 - 2009 (JS) Sebring/Sebring Convertible/Avenger

2006 - 2009 (K1) Cherokee (CKD)

2007 - 2009 (KA) Nitro

2008 - 2009 (KK) Liberty

2008 - 2009 (KK) Cherokee (International Markets)

2005 - 2007 (KJ) Liberty

2005 - 2007 (KJ) Cherokee (International Markets)

2005 - 2009 (LE) 300C/300C Touring (International Markets)

2005 - 2009 (LX) 300/Magnum/Charger

2007 (L2) 300 (China)

2008 - 2009 (LC) Challenger

2004 - 2009 (PT) Chrysler PT Cruiser

NUMBER: 14-001-09 REV. A

GROUP: Fuel

DATE: September 1, 2009

2007 (R2) Caravan/Voyager (CKD)

2005 - 2007 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)

2003 - 2007 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager

2008 - 2009 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Caravan

2008 - 2009 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Voyager (International

Markets)

2005 - 2006 (TJ) Wrangler

2005 - 2009 (WH) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)

2005 - 2009 (WK) Grand Cherokee

2006 - 2009 (XH) Commander (International Markets)

2006 - 2009 (XK) Commander

NOTE: This bulletin applies to all vehicles equipped with a gasoline engine.

DISCUSSION:

Customer may report that the vehicle is hard to fill with fuel or that the fuel pump nozzle

shuts off repeatedly while trying to fill vehicle.

This customer complaint can occur due to a number of different causes. The fuel tank is

the least likely cause of this condition. The following Diagnostic procedure can be used to

diagnose the issues.

DIAGNOSIS:

1. Is the vehicle a LX/LE/LC/L2?

a. Yes >> proceed to Step #2

b. No >> proceed to Step #4

2. Idle the vehicle 60 to 90 seconds upon stopping.

3. Does tank refill properly?

a. No >> proceed to Step #4

b. Yes >> Inform the customer to idle the vehicle for 60 to 90 seconds upon stopping if

vehicle was driven aggressively. This is due to the fact that on the LX/LE/LC/L2 the

fuel tank is a unique saddle tank design and needs 30 to 60 seconds while the

engine is running to level the fuel in both half's of the fuel tank. Allowing the vehicle

to idle for this amount of time will let the fuel pump transfer fuel to the left side tank,

opening the control valve and allowing normal fuel filling.

4. Disconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.

5. Attempt to refill fuel tank.

6. Does tank refill properly?

a. Yes >> Proceed to Step #7

b. No>> Proceed to Step #11.

7. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.

8. Disconnect the other end of the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel filler tube.

9. Attempt to refill fuel tank.

10. Does tank refill properly?

a. Yes >> Replace fuel filler tube.

b. No >> Replace the vapor recirculation tube.

11. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.

14-001-09 REV. A -2-

12. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.

13. Does tank refill properly?

a. No >> Replace Fuel Tank.

b. Yes >> Proceed to Step #14.

14. Reconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.

15. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the EVAP canister.

16. Attempt to refill fuel tank.

17. Does tank refill properly?

a. Yes >> Blockage is in the EVAP Canister, or ESIM, or Clean air hose (ESIM vent

hose), or filter. Diagnose appropriately.

b. No >> Replace the control valve to EVAP canister tube.

POLICY:

Information Only

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The car is scheduled to go in next week again for this problem. I will print this out for them. If it corrects the problem, I will greatfuly "Accept Answer" for this solution.

Thank you,

David Shaw

Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.

Sounds good David! Let me know how it goes.

Chris