John, triple chrysler master tech
Experience:  43 years,triple chrys ,ase master tech,l1,t2 b5 a1-a8 Hev spec.

I have a 2004 sebring dual overhead 4 that idles rough and

I have a 2004 sebring dual overhead 4 that idles rough and stalls out. Recently I have begun to notice slight power loss under load, and bogging and lurching during acceleration from 0. I have the dreaded p0300 even after new crank cam and throttle position sensors, iac, and spark plugs. My next thought was egr failure, but it turns out this car has no egr valve. Manifold pressure is 26 and steady. The symptom I thought was secondary is that turning on the heat kills the car at idle (or makes it bog down). I seem to have lost the cooling ability from the ac, but when I put the recharge canister on the system it read at 100 psi cycling up close to 200 when the compressor is on (I don't know if these issues are related). I haven't run fuel pressure tests yet, and the condition occurs cold or hot. Any suggestions on what I might be up against would be appreciated!
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Hi my name is john.

did you test the spark plug wire for high resistance?

It should read .7ohm per foot.

Did you look inside the spark plug boots to see if there is a black line inside them?

Next look at the intake manifold gasket at the head to see if the gasket has drop out a little bit.

Let me know
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi John.

Plug wires are good and the manifold gasket doesn't appear to be out of place, but I can only see one end easily. How hard should I look to verify it?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
You can spray it with like brake cleaner, if it leaking the rpm will change.

If the only code you are getting is P0300, i don't think it could be the egr valve, but you plug the vacumn hose off and see if it make a different.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did a leak test with water mister and brake cleaner prior to a vacuum reading and turned up nothing both times. One of the interesting things about this car is that it has no egr valve. Chrysler lists a component called the purge solenoid as a part of the egr system, but since the guy at the shop said it probably wasn't related I haven't pursued it further.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
The vacuum hose that go to it can split and suck air.I check the hose for the evap purge solenoid.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I vac checked the solenoid to manifold hose and it's good, all the elbows are soft. I didn't check the solenoid to tank hose, but I ran the car and plugged the intake port and didn't notice any change in the rough idle. My scan tool indicates that the evap system meets whatever check the obd runs, but I can't do large or small evap leak tests unless I do it manually. It seems to me that we have almost eliminated vacuum, egr, and evac as the possible culprits.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Can you test the fuel pressure for 58+-5 psi?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Key on engine off 58<br />idle 60<br />wide open 60
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
That good,Have you tried a 2 1/2 hr hot soak with combustion cleaner, where you get the engine hot and than spray 2 can of combustion cleaner into the throttle body and than turn off the engine for 2 1/2 hr and go drive it like 8 miles at high rpm just lower the gears say to 2 second gear and the rpm about 4000 to through off the carbon.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Runs like a new car! Thanks John for a problem solved. I did a new set of plugs and an oil flush and change to make sure the gunk was gone. Hopefully that's an end to that issue.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Your welcome, if i have help you,please push the accept button when were done.

Thank you for choosing just answer