John, triple chrysler master tech
Experience:  43 years,triple chrys ,ase master tech,l1,t2 b5 a1-a8 Hev spec.
9510839

chrysler: with a 2.7 liter motor

Customer Question

Hey all. Got a problem chrysler here. Its an 02 chrysler sebring cnvtbl with a 2.7 liter motor. The air bag light is on. Two codes, both for seat belt tensioners. I have replaced the seat belt assembly in the upright part of the seat and the airbag control module. The light went off for a week and then came back on. Any info for further testing to narrow down were problem is would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Hi my name is john.

What is the words it said for each code?

Is this a lxi or a lx conv?

Do you have a 2.7l engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Its is an LX convertable with the 2.7l engine

The exact wording is

XX driver seat belt tensioner circuit open

XX passenger seat belt tensioner circuit open

thanks

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Did you test the wiring, for rubber through, pinch wire,push out pin in the connectors?

I test the wiring for high resistance with a ohm meter.

let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tested the seat belt wires according to alldata and came back with a low resistance (.05) so I replaced the air bag control module. I have not done any testing on the seat belt control module because from looking at the wire diagrams its not integral to the air bag system. Should I look there maybe??? Just so you know I am an asc certified tech at a shop but my electrical diag is just ok not great. THis car was kinda thrust appon me and if it was up to me I would have sent it to the dealership. THanks again for the help
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
You are suppose to use a load tester to test this system.

I ran it by chrysler and they have nothing at all.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
We had some here where we had to replace the wiring harness under the seats

The connector at the side of the seats is the problem most of the time

Edited by John on 4/2/2010 at 3:35 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are you talking about the yellow connectors under the seats or the ones that go into the buckle by the hip?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
it can be either one, check to see if it is pulling on the wiring when you move the seat and that none of the pin are push out ,like a 1/16 of a inch inside the connectors.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you know if when I replaced airbag control module did it need to be relearned, it didnt say anything about it in alldata. I checked under the seat and everything is good as far as the connectors go. Not snaged on anything wires look good no holes in insulation or anything like that.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
They don't need programing, they come with it.

it sound like you might need to go to the dealership for a load test of the system.

the only other thing you can do is try dielectric grease on the pin inside the connector

Edited by John on 4/2/2010 at 4:14 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK just got done checking everything again and when I un plugged the connectors under both seats and then re connected them the air bag light went off. After a really close inspection the pins are getting pulled out. So now my question is should the connectors be replaced or just repaired? The wires for the connecters are just hanging down in the return springs for the seat position adjustments

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was in the twisted pair.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
yes it is and it has to be to work right.if it not twisted will set the codes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yup very strange set up. The wires are twisted and have heat shrink around them. At the end right before the buckle there looked like a butt connecter under the heat shrink and I noticed that when I jiggled the wire there the code would go away. Its not a butt connecter its just a plastic sleeve and when I messed with it the code would be set and then go away. I am not sure what the proper fix for this is other than replacing the whole harness. Thanks for the help today.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
The wire is either broken inside the plastic or loose at the end. You can make a new set of wire if needed, by just cutting a two wire the right length and then twisting them 6-8 twist per foot then soldier them on.

let me know if you need more.

If i have help you,please push the accept button when were done.

Thank you for choosing just answer
John, triple chrysler master tech
Experience: 43 years,triple chrys ,ase master tech,l1,t2 b5 a1-a8 Hev spec.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Thank you,let me know if you need more.