sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

how to reset engine light on 2005 300c

Customer Question

how to reset engine light on 2005 300c
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Once the problem that has turned the check engine light has been fixed the light will be able to be turned off three ways. If the problem no longer exists the engine light will go out on it's own in a matter of a couple days of regular driving.

Disconnecting the battery also will clear the fault codes from the engine controller.

A scan tool or code reader can also be used to clear the codes.

Keep in mind that if the problem that turned it on hasn't been fixed then clearing the codes isn't going to keep the light off. The problem will have to be found and repaired. If you haven't repaired the problem turning the light on or you don't know why the light is coming on let me know. We can try to retrieve the fault codes ourselves and I'll be able to tell you what is going on with it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how to I tell what the code is with out a code reader? does the light flash at a certain rate or something?

The codes will display right on the digital odometer if the built in code read feature works on your car. On some of the later model cars it won't work but it should work on yours.

Get in and close the doors. Cycle the key from off to on three times ending with it on and watch the digital odometer display. The codes start with a P and have four numbers, there may be more than one stored. Write down any that you see and post them here.

If that doesn't work on your car then you can have the codes read with a code reader. Almost all parts stores will read codes for free in the parking lot with a code reader.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm currently in NYC on business.. car and wife are in clearwater, florida. I will contact again first part of next week when I am at vehicle instead of assuming my wife understands what to do and the speed at which to do it.

Thanks you. please forward an other ideas.

Will advise upon arrival home

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Sounds great, just let me know!