jeepmopar76
jeepmopar76, Chrysler Triple Master Tech
Experience:  32 yr ASE Master tech, 9 yr Chrysler Master Tech 13 years Chrysler Dealership service
16831211

2004 Town & Country Touring with premium sound system. Original

2004 Town & Country Touring with premium sound system. Original radio is dead (no lights). Have two new radios both light up and function except no sound. Have checked all radio pins for power and grounds. Radio will work if I jumper speaker wires from back to a speaker. Don't see any Mitchel wiring diagrams that match what is in vehicle, and don't see amplifier anywhere.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  CDJMasterTech replied 4 years ago.
I need your VIN number to confirm what system you have and check some diagrams.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2C8GP54L05R217412 is the VIN.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I need some answers. Are you still working on my question? Did some more circuit checking today, and I can hear a low pitched speaker sound coming through most of the speakers. I checked the speaker wires (+ & -) in the door jambs for LF and RF door speakers, and they all have power. I'm thinking their has to be an amplifier somewhere because the audio is good coming out of the radio, just not getting to the speakers. I have looked everywhere on this van, and see no amplifier, unless they buried it somewhere behind the IP. Please advise quickly. Thanks.

Expert:  jeepmopar76 replied 4 years ago.
There is no amp in your system. Although if you have infinity speakers, then yours is the premium sound, and uses the nbs ( Name Brand Speakers) relay. Here is the diagram for that, along with the fuse to check.8125dc89
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NBS relay is not used, yet the vehicle order sheet says it has the premium system with Infinity speakers (the speakers are infinity, and putting an NBS relay in does nothing different). If no amp, then why does radio audio output sound properly when I jumper to a speaker directy from rear of radio? Rear speakers have about 7volts across the + -, and speaker is 1.7 ohms. However, speaker circuit is open when I check it at the radio connector, so the audio output has to be going through an amp or circuit of some type after it leaves the back of the radio. This vehicle also had CD cassette, and DVD systems that all use the same audio speakers, and no sound from any of the otherwise functining systems. I believe their is a central amp, as indicated by the Central amp fuse in the IPM.
OK I will opt out; I looked at your build sheet, to see your exact system; I looked at all the wiring diagrams, and there is no sign of an amp.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, so by the VIN this vehicle does not have the premium sound system or infinity speakers? I pulled the rear speaker and it is Infinity, and the NBS relay is not used (never was). The problem started when an alternator went bad, and then the original radio went dead. Still dead, won't even light up at all. Two replacement radios light up and function, but no sound. DVD system also no sound. If I jumper one of the rear vehicle speakers to the audio out wires for that speaker (LR + & -), the radio plays fine. I have back probed both front door speaker wires and they have voltage on them, as do the rear speakers. Where can all the speaker audio out wires go from the back of the radio that they would not have any sound at the speakers? I don't see where the PCI or BCM, or anything else is involved other than back lighting?

No by the vin it does have premium sound do to the DVD entertainment system.

I will send you some more wiring schematics, and you can look for your self where to check.

8125dc89

8125dc83

8125dc8b

8125dc8f

ground distribution:8125da97

Power distribution:8125da0c

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That is what the owner told me too (has premium sound system). The only thing that I don't hear is a low pitched hum from the front driver IP speaker (might just be my hearing, but I do hear a very quiet hum or air sound from all others except also from the rear pillar speakers. I assumed each speaker channel was a saparate circuit, but is it possible a short or unwanted ground on one speaker circuit couild pull all speaker circuits down?

I have the three different wiring diagrams for the different systems from Mitchel online, but only parts of each schematic matches wht I see on vehicle. I'm wondering if this vehicle eith has a prototype system or maybe year or two later system than what was offered in 2004.

You could have an odd ball;i ran into a Durango, that alot of the parts were found by looking at a different year; I really don't know what else to tell you Did you try to hook up a known good speaker at the wires in the door/?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm just wondering because someone had an amp on EBAY from the rear 1/4 panel of a 2006 Town & Country. It seems no one knows what the central amp fuse in the ICM is for? I have no idea why Chrysler would run all the audio wires to the rear of a vehicle to go through an amp and back, but maybe...

Do you have a wiring diagram for the back of the radio (the ones I have don't match exactly, leaving a couple wire colors to chance).

I have not tried a good speaker in the doors, but can. The rear speakers are making the same noise as the door speakers, and th LR speaker works fine jumpered to back of the radio, so I figure the speakers are all good, something else.

i have sent the wiring diagrams already ; here are the connector pin outs

RADIO C1 - 22 WAY

CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
1A114 16GY/RDFUSED B(+) (I.O.D.)
2F306 18DB/PKFUSED ACCESSORY RELAY OUTPUT
3E14 20OR/TNPANEL LAMPS DRIVER
4--
5--
6--
7X54 20GY (EXCEPT LOWLINE 1)RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER (+)
7X154 20GY/YL (LOWLINE 1)RIGHT INSTRUMENT PANEL SPEAKER (+)
8X56 20GY/BR (EXCEPT LOWLINE 1)RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER (-)
8X156 20GY/LB (LOWLINE 1)RIGHT INSTRUMENT PANEL SPEAKER (-)
9X55 20DG/BR (EXCEPT LOWLINE 1)LEFT FRONT SPEAKER (-)
9X155 20DG/LB (LOWLINE 1)LEFT INSTRUMENT PANEL SPEAKER (-)
10X53 20DG (EXCEPT LOWLINE 1)LEFT FRONT SPEAKER (+)
10X153 20DG/YL (LOWLINE 1)LEFT INSTRUMENT PANEL SPEAKER (+)
11Z514 16BK/LGGROUND
12A114 16GY/RDFUSED B(+) (I.O.D.)
13X60 20GY/YLRADIO 12 VOLT OUTPUT
14D25 20WT/VTPCI BUS
15--
16--
17--
18X51 22DG/DBLEFT REAR SPEAKER (+)
19X57 22DG/ORLEFT REAR SPEAKER (-)
20X58 22GY/ORRIGHT REAR SPEAKER (-)
21X52 22GY/DBRIGHT REAR SPEAKER (+)
22Z515 16BKGROUND
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX received more information that a 2005 Town & Country (this one was built 6/2004), with premium sound system takes a special radio that remotely turns amp on, I'm assuming through BCM using PCI data lines. Maybe this thing has a newer audio system 2005/2006 with the amp. The replacement radios we have are 2002-2003 vintage, and I know from pining the wires a bunch of times that their is no amp trigger wire at the radio like some of the older systems had.

Is it possible for you to look at 2005 or 2006 Town & Country to see if their were any systems with amps? If so the question then becomes where is the amp located...

here it is in an 05814f7e4a

814f7c1e

here is the location

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the right quarter trim panel (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/QUARTER TRIM PANEL - REMOVAL).
  3. Remove the right rear speaker.
  4. Disconnect the two electrical harness retainers near the amplifier.
  5. Remove the mounting fasteners (AMPLIFIER).
  6. Disconnect the electrical harness connectors and remove the amplifier through the right rear speaker opening.
  7. Remove the bracket from the amplifier.

Experience: 32 yr ASE Master tech, 9 yr Chrysler Master Tech 13 years Chrysler Dealership service