Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2002 sebring lxi no spark, what are the possibilities to c

Customer Question

2002 sebring lxi no spark, what are the possibilities to check
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

The first thing to do is to be sure the computer is awake. Turn the key on and check reference voltage to the tps, cam and crank sensors. If there is full reference voltage, check to be sure the ASD relay is engaging when trying to start the engine and that there is power to the injectors and coil/coils when cranking. IF there is no power to the injectors or coil when cranking and the ASD relay is not engaging, then we might have a bad cam or crank sensor (or a valve timing issue).

If there is no reference voltage to these sensors with the key on, then the computer might not be waking up. We will need to check all powers and grounds going into the computer with the key on. This includes, all powers through the computer fuses, fusible links and even the ignition switch.

Hint: Sometimes the cam and crank sensors can short out and pull the computer down temporarily. If all powers and grounds check out and we still do not have any reference voltage to the cam, crank or the tps, then disconnect them one by one with the key on to see if the reference voltage comes back. If so, then one of the sensors is bad and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is referencr voltage, and I actually confirmed the asd is contacting, but I did not check any voltages?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
You should be getting a 5 volt reference ot the tps with the key on. I do believe that you are also supposed to be getting a 5 volt reference to the cam and crnak sensor on this particular system as well. Just be sure that one of the three wires to each cam and crank sensor has a reference voltage to it with the key on.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

If you have a 3.0 liter engine, you should get a 5 volt reference to the cam and crank sensor with the key on.

If you have a 2.7 liter, you should have a 8 volt reference to the cam and crank sensor with the key on.

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what is the tps and where is it?

Thanks so much?

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
WHat size V6 do you have? 2.7 or 3.0 Liter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2.7 v6
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2002 sebring lxi I found problem and got the car to start,but the speedometer doesn't work and the check engine light is on.l used my obd 2 and it wont link to check dtcs
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
DO you have a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, but we did notice all so, when we try to start the car the speedometer went completely around in circles and now it doesn't work, check engine light and the radio doesn't work but the fuse is good.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
DO you know where the diagnostic connector is?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I believe its under the dash on the right hand side, but I get no link
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Ok... so the engine starts and the car runs?

We need to check power down at the aldl connector with the key on in pin 16.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
And if I dont have power, then what the next step? Would this affect the radio or speedometer, what would be the probllem with them? The fuse is good on the radio
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Maybe we have a comunication issue with the on board computer. Maybe the BCM is at fualt
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Check fuse number 5 and the iod fuse. If both fuses are god, check to be sure that the fuses have power to them with the key on.

Try to Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes. Reconnect making sure the key is in the "off" position.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

where is the number 5, is that on the side of the dash?

and where is the iod fuse?

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

The IOD fuse should be in the fuse box.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay it is the fuse box on the dash,I see the number 5 but what is iod and what number is XXXXX fuse
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

I am going to try and get you the locations of this IOD fuse.

Meanwhile, you can try to do a self check to correct the speedo.

THis is done by putting the key in the lock position, push and hold the trip reset button, turn the key to the unlock position and release the button. The gauges will normally sweep and all the indicators will turn on and turn off. This will normally fix the problem. Check for loose battery cables, dirty battery cable connections, jump starting, battery being disconnected for the cause of this problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
When removing or installing the IOD fuse, it is important that the ignition switch be in the OFF position. Failure to place the ignition switch in the OFF position can cause the radio display to become scrambled when the IOD fuse is installed. Removing and installing the IOD fuse again with the ignition switch in the OFF position will usually correct the scrambled radio display condition. Still lookiong for a picture for you. It should be the fus box or relay box. Check under the hood.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what is iod
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Ignition off draw
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Ok... here is the location of the IOD. Iti might even be a relay.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

would this also affect door locks?

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Yes!