ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience:  ase master/factory certified/and automotive instructor

2001 Chrysler Town & COuntry: transmission fluid..speed, the shifts

I recently bought a 2001 Chrysler Town & COuntry minivan with a 3.3L engine and 160,000 miles. I changed the transmission fluid and filter, and now it thumps agressively when it downshifts at about 30 mph. Going up in speed, the shifts can't even be felt.

What do you think causes this?

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 6 years ago.
hi, normally this is cause by low transmission level have you check the level when hot and in park engine running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I added fluid sequentially until it was overfull and the problem persisted. I redrained the new fluid, put in another batch of new fluid at the proper level, and it still persists.
ok this transmission needs to have the transmission CVI reset that is the CLUTSH VOLUM INDEXING, this is a program that needs to be done ones every time the transmission is service some times it will reset its self but some times you need to reset it with a scanner they call this quick learn . it can be done at any repair shop that has a scanner it only takes 15 minutes to do it. just tell the repair shop to reset the CVI on the transmission with a TRANSMISSION QUICK LEAR PROCIDURE.this will take care of the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can that be done with any OBD2 scanner? I have one.
hello sorry for the delay are you still there
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just did a scan, but nothing came up regarding the tranny. It did say I have a minor leak in the emissions system. WHat would be a good process of troubleshooting that? Do you have any reference materials you could forward or direct me to?
ok, the problem with the transmission is not going to show as a code or problem because the transmission controller does not see that as a problem unless the transmission was not shifting then it will set a code what you are filling is a mechanical problem on the transmission cause by a time base problem that the computer is not aware unless you tel the computer how to shift, this problem is not emission related emission related problems do not affect transmission operations, you need to do a quick learn programing and if you don't this will eventually cause a problem with the transmission and become more expensive, the scanner you have may not have this option to program transmission shirtings, you may be better off just going to the dealer and tell them you need to have a quick learn procedure on your transmission , this is something fast and inexpensive,