Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  25 years certified Chrysler technician and ASE Certified Master Technician

what is the best way to get the air out of cooling system of

what is the best way to get the air out of cooling system of 2003 concord limited with 3.5 ho.engine? i replaced thermostat and seems to be air not escaping.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Chrysler. There is a bleed screw near the upper radiator hose on the engine. You should loosen this screw to purge the system of air. Here is the filling procedure from the factory service manual for you to read. (note you probably don't need the special funnel)Hope this information helps and let me know if you need more assistance with this,

Chris

STANDARD PROCEDURE - COOLING SYSTEM FILLING

WARNING: MAKE SURE ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM IS COOL BEFORE REMOVING PRESSURE CAP OR ANY HOSE. SEVERE PERSONAL INJURY MAY RESULT FROM ESCAPING HOT COOLANT. THE COOLING SYSTEM IS PRESSURIZED WHEN HOT.

CAUTION: Do not use well water, or suspect water supply in cooling system. Use only a 50/50 mixture of the specified ethylene glycol type antifreeze/coolant and distilled water. (Refer to LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE/FLUID TYPES - DESCRIPTION).

NOTE: COOLING SYSTEM FILL PROCEDURE IS CRITICAL TO OVERALL COOLING SYSTEM PERFORMANCE.

1. Close radiator draincock by turning the stem clockwise to the 3:00 o'clock position. Hand tighten only.
  2. Install engine block drain plugs, if removed.

WARNING: WHEN INSTALLING DRAIN HOSE TO AIR BLEED VALVE, ROUTE HOSE AWAY FROM ACCESSORY DRIVE BELTS, ACCESSORY DRIVE PULLEYS, AND ELECTRIC COOLING FAN MOTORS.

3. Attach one end of a 6.35 mm (0.250 in.) ID clear hose that is approximately 1200 mm (48 in.) long, to the bleed valve.
    • Bleed Valve Location (2.7L): Located on the water outlet connector at the front of engine (COOLING SYSTEM BLEEDING).
    • Bleed Valve Location (3.5L): Located on the lower intake manifold, left of center and below the upper intake plenum (COOLING SYSTEM BLEEDING).
  4. Route hose away from the accessory drive belt, drive pulleys and electric cooling fan. Place the other end of hose into a clean container. The hose will prevent coolant from contacting the accessory drive belt when bleeding the system during the refilling operation (COOLING SYSTEM BLEEDING).

NOTE: IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE COOLING SYSTEM AIR BLEED VALVE BE OPENED BEFORE ANY COOLANT IS ADDED TO THE COOLING SYSTEM. FAILURE TO OPEN THE BLEED VALVE FIRST WILL RESULT IN AN INCOMPLETE FILL OF THE SYSTEM.

5. Open the cooling system bleed valve (COOLING SYSTEM BLEEDING).
  6. Attach Special Tool 8195, Filling Aid Funnel to pressure bottle filler neck (SPECIAL TOOL 8195).
  7. Use the supplied clip to pinch overflow hose that connects between the two chambers of the coolant bottle (SPECIAL TOOL 8195).

CAUTION: Do not mix coolants. If coolant is used other than specified, a reduction in corrosion protection will occur.

8. Pour a 50/50 mix of Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula and distilled water into the larger section of Filling Aid Funnel (the smaller section of funnel is to allow air to escape). For system capacity, (Refer to LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE - SPECIFICATIONS - FLUID CAPACITIES) .
  9. Slowly fill the cooling system until a steady stream of coolant flows from the hose attached to the bleed valve (COOLING SYSTEM BLEEDING).
  10. Close the bleed valve and continue filling system to the top of the Filling Funnel.
  11. Remove clip from overflow hose (SPECIAL TOOL 8195).
  12. Allow the coolant in Filling Funnel to drain into overflow chamber of the pressure bottle.
  13. Remove Special Tool 8195, Filling Aid Funnel. Install cap on coolant pressure bottle.
  14. Remove hose from bleed valve.
  15. Start engine and run until it reaches operating temperature.

NOTE: The engine cooling system will push any remaining air into the coolant bottle within about an hour of normal driving. As a result, a drop in coolant level in the pressure bottle may occur. If the engine cooling system overheats and pushes coolant into the overflow side of the coolant bottle, this coolant will be sucked back into the cooling system ONLY IF THE PRESSURE CAP IS LEFT ON THE BOTTLE. Removing the pressure cap breaks the vacuum path between the two bottle sections and the coolant will not return to cooling system.

16. Shut off engine allow it to cool down. This permits coolant to be drawn into the pressure chamber.
  17. With engine COLD, observe coolant level in pressure chamber. Coolant level should be within MIN and MAX marks. Adjust coolant level as necessary.

NOTE: The coolant bottle has two chambers. Coolant will normally only be in the inboard (smaller) of the two. The outboard chamber is only to recover coolant in the event of an overheat or after a recent service fill. The outboard chamber should normally be empty. If there is coolant in the overflow side of the coolant bottle (after several warm/cold cycles of the engine) and coolant level is within MIN and MAX marks, disconnect the end of the overflow hose at the fill neck and lower it into a clean container. Allow coolant to drain into the container until emptied. Reconnect overflow hose to fill neck.

18.  

19. 1 - 2.7L ENGINE 6 - COOLANT CONTAINER
    2 - 3.2/3.5L ENGINE 7 - HOSE
    3 - BLEED VALVE 8 - TO COOLANT CONTAINER
    4 - TO COOLANT CONTAINER 9 - BLEED VALVE
    5 - SPECIAL TOOL 8195

1 - SPECIAL TOOL 8195
2 - PRESSURE BOTTLE
3 - PINCH OVERFLOW HOSE
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: 25 years certified Chrysler technician and ASE Certified Master Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i was told there is no bleed valve on this engine. this is an h.o does that matter?