brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

I have a 1999 Chrysler Concorde LXi in need of replacement

I have a 1999 Chrysler Concorde LXi in need of replacement of tie rod ends. I have quite a bit of mechanical experience, but not with suspension issues. Are step-by-step instructions available online and are any special tools needed? I am currently unemployed, so I'd like to try to perform the repair myself and save the labor costs. Your help is greatly appreciated.

JT
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Here is the information on replacing them:

REMOVAL

1. Raise vehicle on jackstands or centered on a frame contact type hoist.
  2. Remove tire and wheel assembly.

graphic

Loosen the pinch bolt at the outer to inner tie rod adjustment sleeve.

graphic

Remove the outer tie rod to strut steering arm attaching nut.

graphic

• Remove the outer tie rod from the steering arm using Puller, Special Tool C-3894-A.
  • Remove outer tie rod from adjustment sleeve.
  • INSTALLATION

1. Install the outer tie rod into the adjustment sleeve. Do not tighten the adjustment pinch bolt at this time.

graphic

• Install the outer tie rod into the steering arm on front strut. Install tie rod to steering arm attaching nut. Tighten the attaching nut a torque of 37 Nm (27 ft. lbs.) .
  • Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  • Install and tighten the wheel mounting nuts in proper sequence until all nuts are torqued to half specification. Then repeat the tightening sequence to the full specified torque of 129 Nm (95 ft. lbs.) .
  • Lower vehicle. CAUTION: When setting the front Toe on the vehicle, the maximum dimension of exposed threads allowed on the adjuster and outer tie rod cannot exceed the distance shown. If the maximum distance is exceeded, inadequate retention of either the adjuster or the outer tie rod can result. This condition can cause separation of the outer tie rod end from the inner tie rod. Ensure that adjustment sleeve pinch bolts are torqued to the required specification when Toe setting procedure is completed.
  •  

graphic

• Check the front wheel toe setting on vehicle and make required changes. When making front wheel toe adjustments, be sure the maximum exposed thread requirements are not exceeded. CAUTION: When torquing the adjuster pinch bolt, the following procedure must be followed to ensure adequate retention of the adjuster is obtained. Not following this procedure, could result in the Toe Setting Adjustment changing and/or the separation of the outer tie rod from the inner tie rod.
  • After completion of the tie rod end installation and the toe adjustment procedure, tighten adjuster pinch bolt to a torque of 38 Nm (28 ft. lbs.) . Make sure the outer tie rod maintains correct perpendicular orientation while tightening the adjuster pinch bolt.
  •  

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the very usable information. Should inner tie rod ends also be replaced, and if so, would you be able to share a procedure for that as well.

Thanks,

JT

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
    They are not serviceable for this model and if bad the rack and pinion will need to be replaced.
    brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    Please forgive my delay; I'm a bit confused. In checking my records, Kauffman Tire replaced the inner and outer tie rods on the right wheel in Nov. 2005. The charge was $91.25 for the inner tie rod and $67.17 for the outer and an installation charge of $226.20. Does this sound right?
    Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
    I guess I should restate the answer.....yes it is possible just not recommended.