DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  7 years total automotive experience, 5 years of dealership experience. Land Rover certified.

Car died..stalling, but did have 2.5 quarts in car (low..lost power

Customer Question

car died while driving. car's oil light came on before stalling, but did have 2.5 quarts in car (low on gas, but not empty) suddenly, car just seemed like it lost power and died. tried to start, but just clicks, and tried to jump, but still clicks. engine was not hot, overheated, or made any smell or no loud noises. car was running fine, than as i went up a slight incline on a curve, car just died. 2004 chrysler sebring
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

I need a little more info to help you.

What size engine do you have?

It only had 2.5 qts of oil in the ca when it died?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it is a 4 cylinder, not sure on size, but put 1 quart in and it showed on stick, i think it holds 5 qts
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry, it is a 6 cylinder
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.

So when you try to start it up it just clicks and doesnt turn over?

Does it sound like the starter clicking or is it in the engine?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sounds like the starter clicking, i was going to hit it with a hammer, but i can't find the thing
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.

I would try that but if the starter is bad it wouldnt have caused the car to die. Since your oil light came on and then it died it sounds like the engine locked up. If it is locked up the starter could be clicking because it doesnt have enough power to turn the engine over. I would drain the oil to see if it is sludged up and see how it looks. I cant find any info on the location of the starter but if you follow the positive battery cable it should lead you to it. You could try hit it to see if it wil start but if not just be sure before you suspect the engine take it off and take it to the autoparts store and have it tested.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

if the engine locked up, any way to free it up?

Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.

Before you condemn the engine find the crank pulley where the belt is, it will be the bigger pulley on the center on the bottom and find a socket and ratchet to fit it and try to turn it over by hand to see if it will turn. If not then it is definitely locked up. If it turns it is likely the starter if all of your connections are good. Once it is locked up it is pretty much done. This will happen due to lack of oil pressure if there is not oil getting to the bearing it will seize and ruin the engine.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for your help hoping for the best its my wifes car when i arived where she stuck there was no aperance motor over heated or that smell of a blown motor
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.
You might not smell it and you are very welcome