brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

sebring: Malfunction indicator light on in dash..possible problems

Customer Question

Malfunction indicator light on in dash on 06 sebring. What possible problems could cause this light to be on?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Did they give you any code numbers?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NO
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
First of all it is impossible to hook up a scanner and it tell you that! Most likely it was a misfire on the number three cylinder which can be caused by a spark plug, coil, or injector. You would need to inspect these items to find out which one is failing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Spark plug has been replaced and coil also
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Then I would replace the injector.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Before we wrap up they ran a compression check and said #3 cyl. is 50lbs lower than all others. Could that be from the injector?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
No. Most likely a valve not seating due to carbon, but this was most likely caused by the injector. Try cleaning the injectors and doing a top engine cleaning to remove the carbon from the valves. This is a product that gets sprayed into the vacuum lines of the engine and then it soaks in for a while and then take it out and run the engine hard to loosen up the carbon. The specific information will be on the can of the product.
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank You. We will try your suggestion
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Your welcome.

Good Luck,

JB