brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2006 PT Cruiser timing belt and cam shaft position sensor replacement.

2006 PT Cruiser timing belt and cam shaft position sensor replacement. Are any special tools needed?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Not if just doing the belt and sensor. You would need a puller and tool to hold the cam gear if replacing any gear.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK. Now what would be proper procedure for the belt and sensor replacement. Are there any other parts that should be replaced when doing this? Belt tentioner, water pump, ect. I dont want to have to go back into it a couple of month's from now.

PS I work on big trucks and machinery, not little cars.

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Yes it would be a good idea to replace the water pump and tensioner at the same time.

REMOVAL
TIMING BELT

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
  2. Remove upper and lower front timing belt covers..

CAUTION: When aligning crankshaft and camshaft timing marks always rotate engine from crankshaft. Camshaft should not be rotated after timing belt is removed. Damage to valve components may occur. Always align timing marks before removing timing belt.

1. Before the removal of the timing belt, rotate crankshaft until the TDC mark on oil pump housing aligns with the TDC mark on crankshaft sprocket (2) (trailing edge of sprocket tooth). NOTE: The crankshaft sprocket TDC mark (2) is located on the trailing edge of the sprocket tooth. Failure to align trailing edge of sprocket tooth to TDC mark on oil pump housing will cause the camshaft timing marks to be misaligned.

1. Loosen timing belt tensioner lock bolt (1).
  2. Insert a 6 mm Allen wrench into the hexagon opening located on the top plate (2) of the belt tensioner pulley. Rotate the top plate (2)CLOCKWISE until there is enough slack in timing belt to allow for removal.
  3. Remove timing belt. CAUTION: If timing belt was damaged due to incorrect tracking (alignment), the belt tensioner pulley and bracket must be replaced as an assembly.

CAMSHAFT SPROCKET(S)

1. Remove upper and lower front timing belt covers.
  2. Remove timing belt.
  3. Use Camshaft Sprocket Holder 6847 (1) to hold camshaft sprockets while removing the sprocket bolt(s). Remove camshaft sprocket(s).

CRANKSHAFT SPROCKET

2. Remove timing belt.
  3. Remove crankshaft sprocket (3) using Crankshaft Sprocket Remover 6793 (1) and Crankshaft Sprocket Remover Insert C-4685-C2 (2).

INSTALLATION
CRANKSHAFT SPROCKET

CAUTION: The crankshaft sprocket is set to a predetermined depth from the factory for correct timing belt tracking. if removed, use of Crankshaft Damper/Sprocket Installer 6792 is required to set the sprocket to original installation depth. An incorrectly installed sprocket will result in timing belt and engine damage.

1. Install crankshaft sprocket using Crankshaft Damper/Sprocket Installer 6792 (1).
  2. Install timing belt.
  3. Install upper and lower front timing belt covers.

CAMSHAFT SPROCKET(S)

CAUTION: Do not use an impact wrench to tighten camshaft sprocket bolts. Damage to the camshaft-to-sprocket locating dowel pin may occur.

1. Install camshaft sprockets. Hold sprockets with Camshaft Sprocket Holder 6847 (1) while tightening center bolt to 115 Nm (85 ft. lbs.) .
  2. Install timing belt.

TIMING BELT

1. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing (2).

1. Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket (1) is a 1/2 notch (3) below the intake camshaft sprocket (2). CAUTION: Ensure that the arrows on both camshaft sprockets are facing up.

1. Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner.
  2. Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket (4) counter clockwise to align marks and take up belt slack.

1. Insert a 6 mm Allen wrench (3) into the hexagon opening located on the top plate (2) of the belt tensioner pulley. Rotate the top plate (2)COUNTERCLOCKWISE. The tensioner pulley will move against the belt and the tensioner setting notch (1) will eventually start to move clockwise. Watching the movement of the setting notch (1), continue rotating the top plate (2) counterclockwise until the setting notch is aligned with the spring tang (6). Using the allen wrench (3) to prevent the top plate (2) from moving, torque the tensioner lock bolt (4) to 25 Nm (220 inch lbs.) . Setting notch (5) and spring tang (6) should remain aligned after lock bolt (4) is torqued.
  2. Remove allen wrench (3) and torque wrench. NOTE: Repositioning the crankshaft to the TDC position must be done only during the CLOCKWISE rotation movement. If TDC is missed, rotate a further two revolutions until TDC is achieved. DO NOT rotate crankshaft counterclockwise as this will make verification of proper tensioner setting impossible.

1. Rotate the crankshaft CLOCKWISE two complete revolutions manually for seating of the belt, until the crankshaft is repositioned at the TDC position. Verify that the camshaft (1) and crankshaft (2) timing marks are in proper position.

1. Check if the spring tang (1) is within the tolerance window (2). If the spring tang (1) is within the tolerance window (2), the installation process is complete and nothing further is required. If the spring tang (1) is not within the tolerance window (2), repeat Steps 5 through 7.

1. Install upper and lower front timing belt covers.
  2. Connect negative cable to battery.

SENSOR-CAMSHAFT POSITION

REMOVAL

1. Remove the air cleaner lid, disconnect the inlet air temperature sensor and makeup air hose.
  2. Remove the negative battery cable.
  3. Disconnect electrical connector from camshaft position sensor (2).
  4. Remove camshaft position sensor mounting screws. Remove sensor.
  5. Loosen screw attaching target magnet to rear of camshaft (1).

INSTALLATION

The target magnet has locating dowels (1) that fit into machined locating holes (2) in the end of the camshaft.

1. Install target magnet in end of camshaft. Tighten mounting screw to 3.5 N.m (32 in. lbs.) torque. Over torquing could cause cracks in magnet. If magnet cracks replace it.
  2. Install camshaft position sensor. Tighten sensor mounting screws to 9 N.m (80 in. lbs.) torque.
  3. Carefully attach electrical connector to camshaft position sensor. installation at an angle may damage the sensor pins.
  4. Install the negative battery cable.
  5. Install the air cleaner lid, connect the inlet air temperature sensor and makeup air hose.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the reply jeff. Doesen't look to difficult. If I have any problems, I will get back with ya!
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ever see a 5.7L HEMI in a PT ?

This thing is way COOL !

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
No.....has to be a screamer!
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,