sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

1996 Chrysler LHS: 3.5 Litre engine, OIl is dripping..pully..crank

1996 Chrysler LHS, 3.5 Litre engine, OIl is dripping from the front of the motor almost as fast as I can put it in....It seems to be coming from the pully/crank area... is there a pan gasket in this area or a oil line of some sort?

It sounds like the oil pan or gasket is a very possible problem considering the rate of the leak. You will need to put the vehicle on stands and follow the leak to the highest point to determine if its the pan or something higher up such as the crankshaft seal. With a leak that size it shoudlnt be too hard to determine the cause. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what i needed to know was what else it could be not just an agreement with what I already know. I followed the leak and it seems to be coming from the top of the exterior housing for the timing chain tensioner. (*passenger side of the motor-slightly to one side of the crank pully)
I cannot find any diagrams of this area to explain what might be causing such a leak.
Also, the oil pump itself is under the timing cover...

I'll opt-out and leave it open to other experts, maybe someone will have a better idea of exactly whats leaking. Dont reply otherwise question will be locked to me, thanks.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You're going to need to remove the outer timing cover and get a closer look at what is going on. You are either going to have one of the camshaft seals or the front crankshaft seal leaking. Your leak is fast enough that it's coming from a pressurized source. It's very likely that you are going to find the oil coming out from behind the crank sprocket while the engine is running. This would be a leaking front crank seal. The front crank seal presses directly into the oil pump housing, and when this seal fails, or more likely has popped completely out of the housing, you will have pressurized oil coming straight out of the pump onto the ground.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one more follow-up before I accept: is the timing cover supposed to be oil-tite?
This leak also runs out when the engine is not running..although to a lesser this a chain in an oil bath? or a belt which is supposed to be dry in there?
The 3.5 has a timing belt, it should be completely dry in there. No oil or coolant should ever be on the belt, and if there is, the belt needs to be replaced while you're in there too. If there is still some oil coming out when the engine is off it's probably because so much is being slung around and also puddling up while the engine is running, and then it runs back out when the engine is shut off. Also since the oil pump is at a low point, if the crank seal is popped out or leaking severely the oil from the top end of the engine can run back down after the engine is shut off, so anything in the passages higher than the oil pump can run back down and out of the seal.
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist