Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Tech, ASE L1, Jeep/Chrysler Dealer Tech, 18 yrs exp

Chrysler Pacifica: a loud thumping noise in the rear part..backing

Customer Question

Our Chrysler Pacifica makes a loud thumping noise in the rear part of the car when backing up and/or when put into drive. After ahwile it will disappear but always returns. When I took it in tobe checked, I was told that everything was ok and that the sound is normal. However, it does not sound normal. Can you give me some insight on what it can be?

Gail Hill
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Matt Hardy replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Are you certain the noise is coming from the rear of the car?

Broken engine mounts are a very common problem on Pacifica...a broken mount will make a noise/clunk feeling when shifting from reverse to drive or drive to reverse.

Otherwise, I would suspect that this is a problem with the rear brakes. Have you had any work done on the brakes recently?

Edited by Matt Hardy on 1/20/2010 at 1:25 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago. had the brakes checked when new tires were put on. howe ver neither one of those actions helped. it continues to thump. not ever day but most days.

Based on the info I have so far, I recommend you have the engine mounts checked.

(My wife had a 2007 Pacifica and the front engine mount broke at only 12,000 miles.)

I also recommend to have the rear rotors resurfaced, and see if that eliminates the thumping sound. When the rear rotors are removed, have them inspect the parking brake shoes.