Richard, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

2002 Chrysler Sebring: a thermostat housing..liter..cylinder

How do you replace a thermostat housing on a 2002 Chrysler Sebring? 2.7 liter. 6 cylinder
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

The thermostat housing is located on the lower left side of the engine. Are you referring to this or the water outlet housing on the top front side of engine? Just asking because some people think the thermostat housing is on the top of the motor, when it actually isn't. Let me know!

Thanks,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It is on the lower left. I had it identified by a mechanic at a dealership. I have removed hoses and wires, plus all bolts except one. I can see it, but I have no clearance to remove the bolt. I pulled the part from a wreck, so I removed 6 bolts from the top of the manifold and moved it enough to give me clearance. I am a novice at auto repair, and I really want to know: a.) Can I move my manifold the same way, or if I do will I be breaking any seals, and b.) Is there any gaskets/seals on the housing that I need to be aware of?

Thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

I will send you the procedure on replacing the thermostat housing. You might want to go that way instead of removing the exhaust manifold bolts. I would replace the thermostat while you have the housing off, but it is totally up to you. If you do, you will need part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNA(seal) and(NNN) NNN-NNNNA(thermostat). These vehicles do have a weep hole near the thermostat housing for the water pump, so if the seal goes in the pump it will leak coolant out of the weep hole. Is the housing cracked??

There is an exhaust manifold gasket that you may need if you decide to remove the bolts and move it out of the way. The part number for the gasket is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

It is hard to say if the gasket would be wrecked. I doubt that it would, but to be safe I would get one and have one on hand.

Click here for the removal procedure.

I hope this helps, let me know!

Thanks,