a dodgetech
a dodgetech, Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Tech 15+ Years of A/C and Electrical and Body Mechanical

2007 PT Cruiser: the front crankshaft seal..removing..timing belt

I have a 2007 PT Cruiser with the front crankshaft seal leaking. Can I replace it without completely removing the timing belt? Could I just remove the tension and pull the drive sprocket? Advice please.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  a dodgetech replied 6 years ago.
Hi Steve here are the instructions on the seal replacement. you will need to remove the timing belt pulley to do the repairs..

1. Remove the crankshaft vibration damper.
  2. Remove timing belt.
  3. Remove crankshaft sprocket (3) using Crankshaft Sprocket Remover 6793 (1) and Crankshaft Sprocket Remover Insert C-4685-C2 (2).

CAUTION: Do not nick shaft seal surface or seal bore.

1. Use Crankshaft Front Seal Remover 6771 (1) to remove front crankshaft oil seal. Be careful not to damage the seal surface of cover.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I have to remove the timing belt from the engine to remove the pulley or is it possible to just remove tension from the belt and work around it?
You can remove the tension but it will need to be re timed when reinstalling the belt
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I access the belt tensioner from below, by removing the lower timing belt cover? To retime - can I view the cam timing marks by removing just the top cover ?
all the covers will need to be removed
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Last question -you said all covers - can this be done without removing the front engine support? Will just the plastic belt covers allow enough access?

I dont think so you will need to jack up the engine to remove the covers