Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/ Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist

I have a 1997 plymouth voyager and am having problems with

Customer Question

I have a 1997 plymouth voyager and am having problems with the anti theft alarm system which is preventing the vehicle from starting. How do I correct this problem or bypass the system to start the engine?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer welcome to Just Answer!.

It's a fairly common problem that interruption of the van's communication network (CCD bus) will cause the theft system to activate by default when the OK-to-start message can't be sent from the theft system to the engine controller.

The cause is usually the instrument cluster's printed circuit board, the processor on the back side of the cluster itself. A cracking condition develops in the solder joints that connect the harness pin connectors to the board, causing it to lose ground which in turn corrupts the CCD bus, pushing voltage from its nominal 2.5v to over 7 volts. This voltage can be measured easily with a digital voltmeter (set to 20v DC) on the data link connector below the dash.

This is the odd open-face connector shaped like a trapezoid that we use for scan tool connection. The third terminal from the left on each row are CCD circuits... expect to see voltages between 2.4 to 2.6v when active (key on) and the voltage will be "dancing" (moving rapidly in the columns to the right of the decimal). Anything above this voltage will render the CCD inoperative and your theft system will clamp down, stalling the engine.

An easy and usually effective test for a bad board is to deliver a firm open palm slap to the dash just above the cluster while monitoring gage activity or attempting engine start. If effective, it's well worth pulling the cluster for repair... which I can describe. It will save you close to $700 in repairs if you don't mind doing the work yourself and picking up a pencil-tip soldering iron/ gun.

Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

Talk in a bit,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where is the instrument's printed circuit board located so that I will know where on the dashboard I should hit with the palm of my hand?
It's on the back side of the instrument cluster itself, so just smack the dash directly forward of the steering wheel.

Let me know how it comes out!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try that approach tonight when I get home to see if I might be able to get the car to start. Now the circuit board that I am to take out to make your recommended adjustments is located in the dashboard forward of the steering wheel? Will it require me to remove the entire dashboard to gain access to the board ? Thanks again for your help and guidance.

You only need to remove the instrument cluster itself... and to detrim the driver's side dash to gain access to the screws. It's not too bad as cluster removal goes and I'll be happy to describe the process, including the solder repair to the board itself. I've got some great pics at the other computer (home)!

Good luck!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks again Ed. I will try the approach you recommended.
Great. Write when you have news!