brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

how to change an alternator on a 2003 pt cruiser

Customer Question

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Here are the instructions:

REMOVAL

1. Remove the air cleaner lid, disconnect the inlet air sensor and makeup air hose.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

graphic

• Loosen the upper generator T-bolt lock nut.
  • Raise vehicle on hoist.
  • Remove the right front wheel.
  •  

graphic

Remove the accessory drive splash shield.

graphic

Remove the pencil strut.

graphic

1. Loosen the lower pivot bolt.
    2. Loosen the accessory drive belt t-bolt.

graphic

• Unplug field circuit from generator.
  • Remove the B+ terminal nut and wire.
  • Remove the generator belt, refer to the Cooling section for more information.
  • Remove the axle retaining nut.
  • Remove the lower control arm from steering knuckle.
  • Remove axle shaft. Put a container under the transmission to catch the transmission fluid from the transmission.
  • Remove the generator lower mounting bolt and nut from the upper T-bolt
  •  

graphic

1. Remove generator out the bottom.

INSTALLATION

1. Install generator and loose assemble the bolt and nut.
    2. Install and tension the generator belt, refer to the Cooling section for more information.
    3. Tighten the lower pivot bolt to 54 Nm (40 ft.lbs.)
    4. Install axle shaft, refer to the Axle section
    5. Install lower control arm to steering knuckle, refer to the Suspension section.
    6. Install the lower ball joint nut and tighten
    7. Install the axle retaining nut and tighten, refer to the Axle section.
    8. Install the pencil strut, refer to the body section.
    9. Install the B+ terminal nut and wire and tighten to 11.3 Nm (100 in. lbs.) .
    10. Plug in the field circuit to the generator
    11. Install the accessory drive splash shield.
    12. Install the right front wheel.
    13. Lower vehicle.
    14. Tighten the T-bolt locknut and tighten to 54 Nm (40 ft. lbs.)
    15. Connect the negative battery cable.
    16. Install the air cleaner lid and connect the inlet air temperature sensor and makeup hose.
    17. Check the transmission fluid.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THERE HAS TO BE AN EASIER WAY IS THIS THE ONLY WAY TO DO THIS

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
    I wish they do not give enough access to get it out with out doing the steps I listed.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    CAN YOU REMOVE THE HEAT SHIELD AND TAKE OUT THEN REPLACE HEAT SHIELD AFTER DONE
    Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
    What are you calling the heat shield?
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THE SMALL AREA WHERE THE ALTERNATOR MOUNTS JUST ABOVE THERE IS A SMALL HEAT SHIELD

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
    it wont give enough clearance with out removing the other items
    brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    OK
    Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
    Sorry wish it was simple!