David Dill
David Dill, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC

2002 sebring: replaced last stopped blowing heat

Customer Question

my 2002 sebring does not blow heat when standing still. the thermostat was replaced last year when it stopped blowing heat entirely, now here we go again. Is this purely a thermostat issue?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  David Dill replied 6 years ago.
As you are driving down the road, do you have good heat?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, once the engine warms up. I have to start driving immediately, so, for instance this week it's been in the teens, so it takes 10-15 minutes to start getting really good heat.
Take a good look at the coolant level. Make sure it is full. Since you are getting heat when driving that rules out the thermostat. A failed thermostat would not give good heat driving down the road.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my reservoir is up to the full line when cold - are you saying that it needs to be checked when hot?
I sounds like the coolant level is fine since there is coolant in it. Do you have a thermometer you could put in the vent to get a temperature measurement? When the engine is fully hot, you should have a temp of around 160 driving down the road. It will cool off somewhat when the car is at idle.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I have a thermometer. However my point is that I can start the car in the driveway, and let it sit until the gauge shows that the engine is good and hot. I turn on the heat, and it does not under any circumstances blow heat until I actually start driving down the road. If I am sitting at a stoplight it stops blowing heat within seconds, the air becomes fully cold within several minutes. Very inconvenient in a snowstorm.
That sounds like you may have a heater core restriction. You might want to try a back flush to see if you can get anything out of the core.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We'll give it a try.
Let me know how it turns out. I've got a Sebring as well and haven't had any issues yet.