Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/ Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist

2002 PT Cruiser: a defective key/lock cylinder which..reprogram

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser with a defective key/lock cylinder which appears to be a classic problem according to the Web, can I just get a new cylinder from the dealer and have it re-keyed to match my existing three keys so I don't have to buy three new key/transponders, have them cut and pay for SKIM to reprogram itself and the new transponders?
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX "[email protected]"
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer welcome to Just Answer!.

Sure! Most dealer Parts Departments can code a replacement ignition lock cylinder, either by supplying them with a working ignition key to operate from or they could even look up the key code and program it to be ready when you arrive at the store. You'd need to provide credit card information to do this over the phone and then would need to bring along proof of ownership before they can release the new part to you. Even if you plan to do this on a walk-in basis, call ahead to be sure they have the part on hand.

Since the part being replaced has nothing to do with the SKIM system, no changes or reprogramming will be needed. You simply replace the old lock cylinder with the new one, which is a pretty simple process. Let me know if you have any questions on the process.... I'll be glad to help.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does the seventh word in your answer also mean "rekey, change the tumblers to match my existing three keys" so I can continue to use them and therefore requires no change to the SKIM via a DRB III scan tool?

The coding I was describing involves the mechanical aspect of the cylinder and has nothing at all to do with the SKIM system. It's the act of installing tumblers in the new (bare) lock cylinder that match your existing keys so that (yes!) you can keep using the same ones. They're expensive if you hadn't noticed! =/

Plugging the new lock cylinder won't have any effect on your RKE or SKIM. You'll be good to go.