Richard, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

I have a 2002 Chrysler Town and Country minivan. I curently

I have a 2002 Chrysler Town and Country minivan. I curently have 2 problems. First, the speedometer needle is pegged. Second, this one is a little strange, the radio does not work but if I remove the negative battery cable for 30 seconds then reattach it then it works fine as long as I don't start the van. If I start the van then the radio looses power with no clock or anything and the only way to get it to work again is to remove the battery cable.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Could you try this? Press and hold odometer trip button then switch the ignition from lock (Off) to unlock (Run). Hold trip button for 5 seconds then release. The cluster will go through a test sequence and I would like to know if this helps the speedo issue. Thanks,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Any thoughts on the radio issue?
Do you know if your front cigar lighter has power to it when the radio quits? Plug something into the outlet and see if it has power. Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just tried the reset on the cluster and it did not do anything.
Is the speedo needle on the wrong side of the pin?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no pin. And I got the speedo fixed. I had to push and hold the trip button with the key in the auxilary position then I turned the key to the off position and held the button for 5 seconds and now the speedo is on 0 as it should be. Concerning the power for the cigar lighter. There are 2 and both of them have power when the ignition is on.

Holding the trip with the key off will make the speedo return sometimes and I am glad it worked for you. I am glad you tried that, I should have mentioned that but thought the other procedure would work first.

There is one cigar lighter and one power outlet in front. Only one of them is actually designated as a cigar lighter and the other one they call a power outlet. They both look the same and I was just wondering if the lighter outlet works because the radio gets it power from the same relay(accessory relay) Let me look at the wiring diagram and i will get back to you in a bit. thanks,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have already changed the accesory relay and it did not work. As I said it is a little strange because if I take the battery cable off and put it back on the radio works everytime until I start the van. Then the radio goes dead and will not work again until I disconnect the battery cable. The van also has a four disc cd changer and that works even when the radio is dead.

The radio is on the communication system called the bus. The bus is a single wire that transmits info from one computer to another. The radio has a built in microprocessor and it is able to transmit and receive info on the bus. I think there is something wrong with the radio or the bus communication. The only way to diagnose this problem properly is by using the Chrysler DRB3 scan tool. You can access the radio with the scanner and see if it has any fault codes. If the scan tool can not access the radio then the radio will need to be replaced. I am sure the problem is in the radio itself, but without using the scan tool I can't be 100 percent certain. The accessory relay is turned on by the front control module and that is why I wanted to know if the cigar lighter still had power. I have seen cases where the FCM turns off the relay and the radio will quit. So, if the cigar lighter still has power then you know that the FCM is ok. I hope this helps, let me know! Have a safe and happy holiday season,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What does FCM mean?

FCM is the front control module. It is a module bolted to the front of the fuse box in the engine compartment. This module turns on the accessory relay and this will not be the problem if your cigar lighter has power. Thanks,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you so much for all of your help. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

You are very welcome! Thankyou very much,