Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

My Chrysler 1996 Town and country will not start

Are you saying that the vehicle still will not start? Do you have spark now that you have replaced the coil pack?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The vehicle will not start. I do not have anything coming out of the new coil pack at all. The connection to the new coil pack is fine though.

You could have a bad ASD relay!

When your car does not start, I would rec to check for power at the ignition coil and injectors. The Auto Shut Down relay supplies power to the ignition coil and injectors. If there is no power, there will be no injector pulse and there will be no spark from th ignition coil.

Sometimes if the cam or crank sensor goes bad, the computer will not recognize engine rpm and the computer will not ground the asd relay.

As one of its functions, the Automatic Shutdown (ASD) relay will supply battery voltage to the ignition coil. The ground circuit for the ASD relay is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) . The PCM regulates ASD relay operation by switching the ground circuit on-and-off.

Edited by AMEDEE on 12/23/2009 at 3:48 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That sounds like a great answer but y if the ASD is bad would a new ignition pack have started my van the first time? And could an ASD Relay Fry an ignition pack?

Maybe when you installed the coil pack, the ASD relay came alive for just a bit and powered everything up enough o fire your engine up.

NO... an ASD relay should not fry a coil pack.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What would fry a new coil pack?

High or low voltage going to the coil pack.

Where on the coil pack did the damage occur... or did just the whole thing go bad?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
High voltage going into the coil pack and the whole pack is bad
Well, just be sure to check power going into the coil pack when the engine is cranking over to be sure its not too high or too low.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So are you sticking with the ASD Relay? Because I am sure that was the first thing we check was all the relays and fuses. This has stumped everyone I know and I really need my van.

I am not saying that the asd relay is bad.

What I am saying is that there is a lot of things that needs to be checked.

If the ASD relay is not engaging, then we need to run a serious of tests to pinpoint the problem. I am just telling you what serious of tests need to be run in order to diagnose this.

Be sure the computer is awake. Be sure the cam and crank sensors have reference voltage with the key on.

Be sure both cam and crnak sensor put out a good signal back to the computer when cranking the engine over.

If you follow these steps, you will find your problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you are you married?
No.. I am not. Why do you ask?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Cause your cute

LOL Wink

Well thank you very much!

Did you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No that was it thank you very much Im gonna try all this once the weekend rolls around, too much going on for Christmas Thank you again and have a merry Christmas

Thank you very much for the accept!

The first thing I would do is check to see if the injectors are getting a signal to fire with a noid light. if the noid light flashes when the engine is being cranked over, then you know the injectors are getting power and the asd relay should be ok. IF this is the case, then we will need to inspect the pcm itself to be sure its firing each coil pack (there is three coil packs all together in one).

If the injectors do not have power when cranking the engine over, then chances are the computer is not grounding the asd relay because of a bad input. Powers or grounds or a bad cam or crank sensor.

Fuel trigger is the signal from the computer to the injectors. You would use a tool called a noid light. It simply plugs into the injector connector after the fuel injector is unplugged and should blink when the engine is cranked over. It looks like this.

Again, thank you very much and Merry Christmas to you too!

Please let me know if you have any further questions! I will be more than happy to answer them for you! :)