Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp.
15218643

Oil to blow out of dipstick tube only while driving on 1978 360

Customer Question

What would cause oil to blow out of dipstick tube only while driving on 1978 360?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.

Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

Is the PCV valve and breather hooked up?

Did the engine have a lot of varnish/carbon inside of it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes the PCV valve and breather are hooked up to front of carburator. No, there isn't any varnish/carbon inside.
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.

Does the engine have a lot of blow-by?

Do puffs of blue smoke come out the dipstick tube while the engine is running?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No blue smoke. What do you mean by blow-by?
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.

Blow-by is puffs of smoke out the oil cap if you leave it off or puffs of smoke from the dipstick.

If you remove the valve covers is everything perfectly clean or is ther carbon present in the oil return holes?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No blow-by.

When I changed the valve cover in the pans, very little deposit was present.

Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.

Ok, try leaving the hose off the breather and leave the PCV out of the engine and tape off the pcv itself but leave the holes on the engine open to the free air.

Take it for a short ride. Does the dipstick still blow out?

Edited by Anthony on 12/21/2009 at 7:42 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Give me about 15 minutes to try this.

Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
No prob. Ill be here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I drove about 400 yards and nothing blew out. Should I drive farther?
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Is the dipstick tight when its seated?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Is the rubber seal in the dipstick?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
On the handle of the dipstick or the tube in the block? Never had a problem in this area before.
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Ok, is the dipstick blowing out the tube or is it just leaking while seated?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Leaking while seated. When I bought the truck, there was a chrome breather pushed into the grommet which leaked oil when driven. I hooked up PCV where the breather cap was.

Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Get a new dipstick with a good seal in it if its not blowing the stick out the tube or off of where its seated. Put the PCV back and the breather tubes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is not blowing the dipstick anywhere, it is just squirting oil out of it.
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Right, the dipstick itself has a bad seal in it. If the crankcase pressure was the problem, it would launch the dipstick out like a bottle rocket. The actual dipstick has no or a bad rubber oil seal in it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Could clogged pores inside the motor cause this problem?

Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Yes and no. The oil would build up in the valve covers and you would have a lot of blue smoke. it wouldnt be a bad idea to remove the intake and see if the holes near the cam are open and not clogged with carbon along with all oil galleys in the heads. But a new dipstick with a new seal would problably work. When you have high crankcase pressure, seals blow out but usually the dipstick wont stay seated and blus smoke puffs out the oil cap.
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, Anthony. I'll give it a try.

Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Your quite welcome and thank you also. Happy Holidays!!!!!!