brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

pt cruiser: my key..parking lot of high school..horn warning

locked my key in my pt cruiser (I hope that's where they are).in parking lot of high school where I teach. I don't want to call a locksmith without the key in my hand because the horn warning will go off until the battery dies. my since the battery died and was replaced the electronic key doesn't work. Can I purchase a key for that car from a dealer without having to do the electronic computerized resynchronizing?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
Yes you can get a key from a dealer for just a few dollars. Just tell them you need it to open the car only and not to start the vehicle and they can cut you a key with out a resistor in it. This key will unlock the door but will not start the vehicle. They will need the vin# XXXXX the vehicle (some dealers want a title or registration) and photo id. They want to make sure you are not stealing the vehicle!