brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

I need to know how to fix my AC/Heater Blower system on my

I need to know how to fix my AC/Heater Blower system on my Chrysler 2003 Town & Country MiniVan
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

It could be the blower motor or the control head either one. The best way to test the motor since you have power there is remove the connector going to the motor and take a jumper wire and hook up the power wire from the harness to the motor then ground the other wire with another jumper wire from the motor to a spot on the dash. If the motor runs it needs a control head. If it doesn't run replace the motor.

Not sure on the price of the motor but the repair takes about an hour if it is the blower motor.

Here is some information on the blower motor;

• Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  • Remove the passenger side cowl and trim panel.
  • Position the carpet to access the front upper screw that secures the air inlet housing.
  • Remove the recirculation door actuator.
  • Disconnect the blower motor wire lead connector from the blower motor resistor or power module, depending on application.
  •  

graphic

1. Remove the one screw (from the top) that secures the lower air inlet housing to the upper air inlet housing.
    2. Remove the four screws (from the bottom) that secure the lower air inlet housing to the lower HVAC housing and upper air inlet housing.

graphic

1. Push the rubber grommet through the hole in the lower air inlet housing.
    2. Route the blower motor wire lead through the opening in the lower air inlet housing and remove the lower air inlet housing from vehicle.
    3. Position the recirculation-air door as necessary to access and remove the three screws that secure the blower motor to the lower half of the HVAC housing.
    4. Gently flex the recirculation air door downward to gain access to remove the blower motor from the housing. NOTE: To aid in installation, note the position of the blower motor mounting tabs prior to removal.

graphic

1. Remove the blower motor from the HVAC housing by rotating and tilting the blower motor as necessary.

INSTALLATION

1. Gently flex the recirculation air door far enough to position the blower motor and wheel into the lower half of the HVAC housing.
    2. Position the recirculation-air door as necessary to install the three screws that secure the blower motor to the blower housing in the lower half of the HVAC housing. Tighten the screws to 2 N-m (17 in. lbs.).
    3. Reach through the fresh air intake opening to access and engage the upper pivot receptacle of the recirculation-air door with the pivot post of the upper intake air housing.
    4. Feed the blower motor wire harness connector through the grommet hole in the lower intake air housing and seat the rubber grommet
    5. Position the lower intake air housing onto the HVAC housing and upper intake air housing. Be certain that the splined output shaft of the recirculation door actuator is properly engaged with the splined receptacle on the bottom of the recirculation-air door.
    6. Install the three screws that secure the lower air intake housing to the lower half of the HVAC housing. Tighten the screws to 2 N-m (17 in. lbs.).
    7. Install the two screws that secure the upper intake air housing to the lower intake air housing. Tighten the screws to 2 N-m (17 in. lbs.).
    8. Install the HVAC wire harness for the recirculation door actuator to the routing clips molded into the bottom of the lower intake air housing.
    9. Connect the blower motor wire harness connector the blower motor resistor block or blower motor power module, depending on application.
    10. Install the instrument panel

Edited by brownjeff on 12/2/2009 at 7:38 PM EST
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm not certain, I understand the "TEST" procedure that you describe...The wire harness plug from the motor to the resistor pack/module on my car, is made up of (1) green colored wire, and (1) black colored wire....I'm assuming the "black" wire is "ground"...and the "green" is "HOT"

*** I should un-plug the motor harness from the resistor pack/module..

*** Then take a jumper wire and re-connect from the "HOT" output "pin" of the resistor pack/module, to the green motor harness wire...

*** and take another jumper and connect it from the "GROUND" output "pin" of the resistor pack/module, to a metal spot on the dash..

Is this correct ???

I'm "afraid" to ask you...what is the "CONTROL HEAD", where is it ?? and if it's the control head, am I opening up another can of worms ????

******another follow-up question...this is about the screws...

I believe I can see the one (1) (( FROM THE TOP)) screw....but I can only see three(3)

of the (( FROM THE BOTTOM)) screws that you describe.....

If the (4th) is where I think it is..(behind the housing)...how in world can I get to it ???

Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

The test is what you described and the control head is the controls where you change the speed and temperature.

The one is hard to get to due to the location. a long screw driver helps

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,