Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Certified Technician with 13 years of experience

how do i change the tie rods on a 96 chrysler concord do you

Customer Question

how do i change the tie rods on a 96 chrysler concord do you have like a diagram or something thank you
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
Hello, are you trying to replace the inner tie rods or the outer tie rods?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the inner
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
Ok, there aren't any good procedures for this as chrysler never considered it a wear item so they never made a procedure, but I'll guide you from experience.

It's a pretty simple system, both tie rods run up to the center of the vehicle and bolt to the steering gear. In order to do this you'll want to start by removing the wiper arms, wiper cowl cover, and the wiper module assembly as showin in the illustration below.

graphic

You'll next want to remove the air intake assembly from the throttle body, at this point you should be able to see the tie rods as seen in the illustration below.

graphic
In order to remove the tie rods you'll need to bent the retaining tabs out of the way, then remove the bolts. Once the bolts are out you'll next want to seperate the outer tie rods from the the steering arm and pull the tie rod out, at this point you can remove the inner tie rods from the adjusting sleeves, likely you'll need a vise and possibly a torch to heat the adjusting sleeves and jam nuts as they're usually seized.

I suspect you're replacing the inner tie rods due to the bushings being worn out, Mopar offers a bushing replacement kit that's much less expensive and easier than the tie rods. Basically you just knock the old bushings out, installed the new ones, which in the replacement kits are 3 parts, a metal sleeve and two rubber bushings that allow you to replace them without pressing the new bushing in, generally you can do this without removing the tie rod from the vehicle, which means you won't need to do an alignment afterwards.

For reinstallation regardless of which way you go you'll need a new locking plate as they're supposed to be replaced every time you have the inner tie rod bolts out. The torque spec for the inner tie rod bolts is 74ft/lbs.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.

Edited by Josh on 12/1/2009 at 1:30 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would you happen to have any knowledge about cadillacs
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
I have limited knowledge of them, I may be able to help, but you'd be better off opening a second question so a cadillac expert can assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its just i have two cadillacs i got from the auction and they both have something missing by the back of the firewall passenger side theres two hoses and a vacumm line not attached to anything
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
I haven't worked on them enough to really know the layout under the hood from memory.