sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Chrysler 300: wont start..anti theft system..There is battery power

Chrysler 300 won't start. It seems like the anti theft system. There is battery power. Red dot in dash comes on and all other light but nothing happens.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What happened the very first time you tried to start it? Did it start and then die like you shut the key off, and after a few times now it won't crank the starter at all?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It didn't crank at all. No sound, just dash board lights.

Do you have a voltmeter to do some testing?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No I don't have a volt meter

If the engine didn't start and die when you first tried to start it the problem shouldn't have anything to do with security. Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes though, and see if it will start. This will normally reset a locked up wireless control module.

If that doesn't work the first thing you'll want to try is check all fuses in the boxes under the hood and inside the trunk. If these are ok I would recommend pulling the battery out and having it tested or trying to start it with quality jumper cables or a jump box. It takes almost no current to run the lights on the instrument cluster, the remote keyless entry, etc, so these items may work and the battery doesn't have enough power to engage the starter and crank the engine. Most parts stores and Walmart will test a battery for free. If the battery and all fuses check out ok we'll need to do some electrical testing with a voltmeter and/or test light to see what's going on. There are many things that could be happening and it's going to take some diagnostics to find the problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Went back to car with jumper cables and a portable power source. Niether worked. With the hood up, there was a clicking noise that sounded like there was juice going to the starter but it wasn't turning over at all. Tried reving the engine on the other car to send more power to the battery. No good.

Was it a fast clicking that happened as long as you held the key to the start position, like a machine gun?

Or was it one solid click that happened when you first turn the key to the start position?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One Solid Click when I first turned the key, and as I held the key on there was still electrical motor noise like a fan running or some part trying to start. I've heard the machinegun sound before and this was not that.
That's a sign of either a bad starter solenoid, a locked up engine, or lack of proper voltage to the starter solenoid. If the engine was running fine when you parked it we shouldn't have to worry about it being locked up. Slide underneath with the car properly supported and check the connection of the large positive cable at the starter. If it's ok try tapping on the starter with a hammer while a helper tries to crank the engine. This will often jar the solenoid contacts enough that the starter will work again. If it does, replace the starter. If not, you could either replace the starter or round up a voltmeter so we can do some electrical testing.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The car is in a restaurant parking lot, it's 42 degrees and it's raining off and on. I'll have it towed to the Chrysler dealer tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome, and good luck!