sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

06 pt cruiser oil light and chime keeps coming on after the

06 pt cruiser oil light and chime keeps coming on after the engine is warmed up each time i come to a stop (as i come to a stop). oil level is fine.

Hello and welcome back to JustAnswer!

If you don't have any abnormal engine noise when this is happening and you've always kept up on the maintenance I would expect this to be a problem with the oil pressure sending unit. When these fail they will often leak oil into the electrical connector, and this causes the oil light to come on or flicker at low rpms when the engine is hot and the oil pressure is naturally at it's lowest.

The first thing I would recommend is unplugging the oil sender and check for the presence of oil. The sender is on the back of the engine block facing the firewall. If there is oil in the connector the sender will need to be replaced and the oil cleaned from the connector. It may take multiple cleanings to get the oil out if it's been going on for a little while.

If the connector is found to be dry then the first thing that needs to be done is use a manual oil pressure gauge to check the actual oil pressure. This will pinpoint if there is an actual pressure problem in the engine or if the light is coming on because of an electrical problem.

Edited by sprinkles08 on 11/19/2009 at 1:06 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sprinkles! Thanks for a speedy return. I pretty much thought that's what it was (sending u.) Why do I get the feeling the thing is gonna be a bitch to get to? Ha!
It's not that bad, but it's not that fun really. It's on the back of the block. It's much easier on a hoist than it will be on the ground if you don't have the means to get the car up. You have to reach above the subframe up next to the exhaust, and it ends up consuming your whole arm. Definitely do it with the car cold, that converter rubbing your arm is hot. Reach up and find the connector, slide the red lock tab over, squeeze the main lock and unplug the connector. Then you'll be able to look at it from the bottom and see if it's wet. If it is and you need to replace the sender you'll need a common oil sender socket available at most parts stores. I always use that plus a U joint, and a 36" extension to get on the sender. If you don't have anything this long I'm sure you can go in with a shorter extension and reach up between the suspension cradle and the right CV shaft. It is kind of a pain, but it's not horrible.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi! I'm really sorry, I didn't mean for that to be a second question.. just making conversation. Can't afford two questions at this time. I'll definitely be coming back in the future and will be careful how I word my reply next time. Best regards, B.

No, you hadn't opened a second question, just replied on the one that was already open. You made conversation, and I returned it! You don't have to click the accept button again. I recieved your accept and bonus, and I thank you! Good luck with your car!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Way cool! Thanx!

You're welcome! Have a great night!