Chrysler expert
Chrysler expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience, ase certified, shop owner
22989858

1996 chrysler cirrus: no spark..changed coil..crankshaft

Customer Question

1996 chrysler cirrus; no spark; have changed coil and crankshaft positionin sensor
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chrysler expert replied 4 years ago.

HI XXXXX THIS CAN ALSO BE A WIRING PROBLEM OR EVEN A FAULTY PCM

HERE ARE A FEW TESTS TO DO AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND

Tests/Procedures:Check all the items on that circuit which include the Ignition Coil and Noise Suppressor and both Oxygen Sensors.
Potential Causes:Grounded Wiring - Wire going to the noise suppressor was shorted to ground

Tests/Procedures:1. Using a test light from power, unplug the coil pack and probe the two coil drivers to test for a grounded coil driver.

2. If the test light lights on either wire, unplug the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to see if the light goes off. If it does, the PCM is shorting out the circuit.
Potential Causes:Coil
Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Wiring Harness
Tech Tips:If one coil driver is shorted to ground, neither coil will fire. See Repair-Trac 6153 for more information.
Problem:The powertrain control module (PCM) coil driver has failed.
Test & Fix:Unplug the coil pack connector. Using an incandescent test light, connect the clip end of the test light to the positive terminal of the battery. Turn the ignition switch on and crank the engine. Probe each of the coil driver terminals in the disconnected coil pack connector. The test light should flash while cranking and should not light with key on but not cranking. If any of the coil driver wires are grounded, keep the test light connected to the grounded terminal and unplug the powertrain control module (PCM) to make sure it is the cause of the short to ground. If the test light goes out with the PCM connectors unhooked, the PCM is bad. If the test light stays on, repair the short to ground in the wiring for that coil driver.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The dark blue wire is causing the test light to stay on even with the pcm disconnected. how do i find where the short is.

try looking here , it is a common spot

SHORTED WIRE FOR NOISE SUPPERSOR AT POWER STEERING HOSE BRACKET

Experience: 30 yrs experience, ase certified, shop owner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where is the noise suppressor
follow the power steering hose it is mounted on the bracket
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when i uplugged the supressor wire the light did not go out

ok there must be a short elswhere in the wiring , you will have to follow it carfully and look for a short or just run a new wire in place of that one