andrew
andrew, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  chrysler,ase,and dodge training
9201135

2002 chrysler sebring convertible started overheating (never

2002 chrysler sebring convertible started overheating (never ran hot before) I also noticed I have no cabin heat, I see that there might be a service bullitin for this condition, any thoughts? Walter
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  andrew replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your post. Well my friedn you are right there is a service bulletin for this condition. You are going to need to check that you have the radiator completely full and that the antifreeze mixture is correct. You can purchase a tester from an auto parts store real cheap. Below are the steps for the bulletin.
Notes

NUMBER: 07-002-02

GROUP: Cooling

DATE: Feb. 4, 2002

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 07-02-00, DATED June 16, 2000, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES AND NOTED IN THE 2000 TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN MANUAL (PUBLICATION NO. 81-170-00001).

ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE ADDITIONAL MODELS, ADDITIONAL SYMPTOM AND REVISED PART NUMBER.

SUBJECT:

**LOW Or No Cabin Heat,** Engine Cooling System Fill Procedure

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin provides **clarification of** the engine cooling system till procedure.

MODELS:

**2001 - 2002 (JR) Sebring Sedan/Sebring Convertible/Stratus Sedan**
1993 - **2002** (LH) Concorde/LHS/New Yorker/300M/Vision/Intrepid
NOTE :
THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A V6 ENGINE.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

A vehicle may exhibit **low or no cabin heat,** engine overheating and/or coolant bottle damage after service has been performed on the engine cooling system. This may be caused by lack of complete ** filling or** refilling of the system with coolant/antifreeze.

DIAGNOSIS:

When refilling the engine cooling system after any service operation which required a complete or partial draining of the engine coolant, the following Repair Procedure must be used to ensure a complete fill of the engine cooling system. This is a Repair Procedure clarification.

NOTE :**THIS BULLETIN ALSO APPLIES WHEN THE COOLANT LEVEL APPEARS TO BE CORRECT BUT THE CABIN HEAT IS LOW AND/OR WHEN ADDING COOLANT BECAUSE THE COOLANT LEVEL IS VISIBLE BUT BELOW THE COLD FILL LINE (1993-1997 MODEL YEARS) OR BELOW THE MINIMUM LINE (1998 AND LATER MODEL YEARS).**

PARTS REQUIRED:

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

CAUTION :MAKE SURE ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM IS COOL BEFORE REMOVING PRESSURE CAP OR ANY HOSE! SEVERE PERSONAL INJURY MAY RESULT FROM ESCAPING HOT COOLANT. THE COOLING SYSTEM IS PRESSURIZED WHEN HOT.
1. Obtain Cooling System filling aid (Special Tool 8195). The device looks like a funnel which attaches onto the filler neck (just as a regular pressure cap does) along with an attached hose clip.
2. Attach filling aid to cooling system filler neck. Use the clip to pinch off the overflow hose attached to the fill neck. Attach a 1-1/2 to 2 meter (four to six foot) long 6.35 mm (1/4 inch) ID clear hose to the bleed valve. Put the end of the hose into a clean container. This is to prevent coolant from spilling onto the accessory drive belts.
NOTE :IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE COOLING SYSTEM AIR BLEED VALVE BE OPENED BEFORE ANY COOLANT IS ADDED TO THE COOLING SYSTEM. FAILURE TO OPEN THE BLEED VALVE FIRST WILL RESULT IN AN INCOMPLETE FILL OF THE SYSTEM.
3. Open the cooling system bleed valve:
1998 Model Years and Later
^ 2.7 Liter Engines: Located on the water outlet connector at the front of the engine.
^ 3.2/3.5 Liter engines: Located on the lower intake manifold, left of center under the upper intake manifold.
1993-1997 Model Years
^ 3.5 Liter engine: Located on the thermostat housing.
^ 3.3 Liter engine: Located on the thermostat housing.
4. Pour a 50/50 mixture of coolant and water into the large side of the filling aid/funnel. Mix the coolant concentrate with distilled, deionized, or reverse-osmosis purified water.
5. Slowly fill the cooling system through the large side of the filling aid. Watch the hose connected to the bleed valve! When a steady stream of coolant comes out of the hose, close the bleed valve and continue filling to the top of the filling aid.
6. 1993-1997 model years: Put a small, clean reservoir (approximately 16 ounce or 1/2 liter capacity) below the end of the overflow hose.
7. Remove the clip from the overflow hose. Any excess coolant in the filling aid will now drain into the overflow section of the coolant bottle or into the small reservoir.
8. 1993-1997 model years: Remove the reservoir and recycle the excess coolant.
9. Remove the filling aid from the fill neck. Ensure that the bottom seal of the cap and the fill neck are free of debris and replace the pressure cap on the coolant bottle.
IMPORTANT :The 1998 and later model year coolant bottle has two chambers. Coolant will normally only be in the inboard (smaller) of the two. The outboard chamber is only to recover coolant in the event of an overheat and should normally be empty (except for the coolant drained from the filling aid. This coolant will be drawn back into the pressurized side of the cooling system over time). NOTE :COOLING SYSTEM FILL PROCEDURES ARE CRITICAL TO OVERALL COOLING SYSTEM PERFORMANCE. POLICY:
Information Only

andrew, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: chrysler,ase,and dodge training