Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience:  24 Year Factory Trained and Certified
12104952

Howdy. I have a 1997 Plymouth Breeze, 2.0 liter / 16 valve

Howdy. I have a 1997 Plymouth Breeze, 2.0 liter / 16 valve engine, that has a "Broken Timing Belt". What is the complete procedure to change this "Timing Belt"? Thank you; Mark
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.

I can help you with this question.

Here is the procedure to remove and install the timing belt.

• Remove accessory drive belts.
  • Raise vehicle on a hoist and remove right inner splash shield
  • Remove crankshaft damper bolt. Remove damper using the large side of Special Tool 1026 and insert 6827-A
  •  

graphic

• Lower vehicle and place a jack under engine.
  • Remove right engine mount. Refer to procedure outlined in this section.
  • Remove right engine mount bracket
  • Remove front timing belt cover
  •  

• Loosen timing belt tensioner fasteners and remove timing belt and tensioner.
  •  

graphic

CAMSHAFT AND CRANKSHAFT TIMING PROCEDURE AND BELT INSTALLATION - SOHC ENGINE

1. When tensioner is removed from the engine it is necessary to compress the plunger into the tensioner body.
    2. Place the tensioner into a vise equipped with soft jaws and slowly compress the plunger

CAUTION: Index the tensioner in the vise the same way it is installed on the engine. This is to ensure proper pin orientation when tensioner is installed on the engine.

• When plunger is compressed into the tensioner body install a 1.9 mm (5/64) allen wrench or pin through the body and plunger to retain plunger in place until tensioner is installed.
  • Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing, then back off to 3 notches before TDC
  •  

Set camshaft to TDC by aligning mark on sprocket with the arrow on the rear of timing belt cover

Move crankshaft to 1/2 mark before TDC for belt installation

• Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket and then around the camshaft sprocket.
  • Move crankshaft sprocket to TDC to take up belt slack. Install tensioner to block but do not tighten fasteners.
  • Using a torque wrench on the tensioner pulley apply 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.) of torque
  • graphic

• With torque being applied to the tensioner pulley move the tensioner up against the tensioner pulley bracket and tighten fasteners to 31 N·m (275 in. lbs.)
  • Pull tensioner plunger pin. Pretension is correct when pin can be removed and installed.
  • Rotate crankshaft 2 revolutions and check the alignment of the timing marks
  • Install front half of timing cover.
  • Install engine mount bracket.
  • Install Right engine mount. Refer to procedure outlined in this section.
  • Remove jack from under engine.
  • Install crankshaft damper using M12-1.75 x 150 mm bolt, washer, thrust bearing and nut from Special Tool 6792. Install crankshaft damper bolt and tighten to 142 N·m (105 ft. lbs.)
  • Install accessory drive belts. Refer toCooling System Accessory Drive section for procedure.
  • Raise vehicle on hoist and install right inner splash shield.
  •  

graphic

Mopar Certified, Technician
    Experience: 24 Year Factory Trained and Certified