John, triple chrysler master tech
Experience:  43 years,triple chrys ,ase master tech,l1,t2 b5 a1-a8 Hev spec.

poured powersterring fluid into the master brake cylinder.

Customer Question

I got a BIG BIG problem! I just poured powersterring fluid into the master brake cylinder. What needs to be done? I know it's going to be replacement of all rubber parts in brake system. It happened to an 07 Jeep Compass it has a 5speed manual so the clutch system is tied to the brakes also. I called the dealer and told them it is a manual. The mechanic that took my phone call isn't sure with the clutch system. Is it even same to drive at all? Even to the dealer?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Hi my name is John

Did you suck out the power steering fluid from the master cylinder?

did you stepon the brakes at all after you pour the power steering fluid into the master cylinder?

Do you know where the fluid leak is?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My internet is sloooow so bare with me. to answer the question, yes i did best i could? the vehichle has been driven i had immedialty go to auto parts store for dot 3 fluid to top off resivoir
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Do you know where it was leaking?

If it wasn't leaking and was just low because of pad wear, The most you will have to do is replace the master cylinder.

Now that you have change the fluid in the master cylinder is the rubber still swelling?

Does the brakes work ok now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
fluid was low because of pad wear. i attempted to top off resivour brakes seem fine its been driven
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
There is a good change that you luck out and all you need to do was change the fluid out of the master cylinder.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is it safe to drive till Monday when i can get it dealer at the earliest ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have the crysler factory repair manual i am knowlegabke of the brake system. Can u tell what the ICU HCU/ABM might cost to replace if it is fouled up. I know ill need calipers rubber brake hose, master cylinder on top of that its it does need replacement

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is there anything in the clutch system that may need replaced? The dealer mechanic that i spoke to on phone earlier today was literally cluesless with the clutch tied to brakes
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

If you don't have a leak i don't see how it could get into the clutch system, there would have to be aleak in the system for the clutch to have a problem

If you did not have aleak how would it get into the brake hose.

that the ABS brake module unit.

here where you can buy them at a discount.

graphic
graphic
Let me know what else you like to know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thats it i guess. Ill get it to dealer ASAP for a brake fluid flush at the very least. They wil then inspect and determine if more repair is needed. One question yet? If powersteering fluid is still in the master cylinder (and it is) its still seperating out. Wouldn't flushing and bleeding the brakes push the oil through the entire brake system and further contaminate it? If it isn't yet
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Yes they could make it worse, I would just replace the master cylinder and bleed it on the bench before installing it.

Let me know what else you like to know, would you like to change the master cylinder yourself?.

I
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No ill have dealer fix it i dont have all to tools to make the brake bleeding and repairs an easy task. It my own stupidity guess ill have to eat it. Hurts my ego more than my wallet LOL. I just want to safely get it to the dealer, closest is now about 32 mi. away. Im done. Thank you so very much.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome,if i have help you,please push the accept button when were done.

thank you for choosing just answer.

If you like you could leave a positive feedback
John, triple chrysler master tech
Experience: 43 years,triple chrys ,ase master tech,l1,t2 b5 a1-a8 Hev spec.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Thank you