Chrysler expert
Chrysler expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience, ase certified, shop owner

2000 Chrysler Sebring: 2.5L engine..Car will start and die..Every once

Customer Question

My 2000 Chrysler Sebring Convertible, 2.5L engine is having idle issues that have gotten progessively worse. Car will start and die over and over. Every once in a while it will catch and idle. I can two foot the car for a bit and eventually it will idle.

My mechanic says there are no codes thrown, but if he resends the IAC codes to the computer, it starts and idles immediately. It will continue all day, but the next morning it's back to not idling. Can the computer lose the stored values overnight? Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chrysler expert replied 4 years ago.

hi this is often a faulty egr valve here is a few tests to do and let me know what you find

Tests/Procedures:1. Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) and engine vacuum running, about 18 in. at sea level while idling.

2. Check belt timing alignment.

3. Check spark output. A minimum of 25kV should be seen at the plug wires.
Potential Causes:Distributor/Coil Assembly
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve
Timing Belt
Tech Tips:Distributors are sold as a complete assembly with a coil and Cam Angle Sensor (CMP) built in

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This sounds like a canned answer that I have seen everywhere for free. The important part of my question was related to the fact that the car runs fine as soon as I re-download the IAC code to the computer.

what iac codes are you sending to the computer ?

i have never heard of such a thing

codes are trouble codes indicating a problem , you retrieve codes form the pcm you don't send them

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Perhaps codes was not the correct term to use. Essentially he is resending the program values to the computer for the IAC valve. It seems like these values are being lost overnight. I don't understand how these values are stored in the PCM and if it is possible for a storage location to go bad in the PCM like most other computers. If the problem is the PCM I will spring for one, but I also would rather not go that route if it could be a bad connector pin or ground.

yes they are known for this trouble , make sure the battery is new and the terminals are clean because any power interuption will cause a memory loss,

if that is all in order then you will need to replace the pcm

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I guess I was most surprised by the fact that it only seemed to be the IAC program that was disappearing. Also, one more question related to the fact that I can two foot the car for a bit and the idle returns. Does the computer have the ability to re-learn values even if they are only temporary?
EXACTLY , THE COMPUTER CAN LOSE ALL ITS MEMORY BUT THE ONLY THING YOU WILL NOTICE AS A DRIVER IS THE STALLING , AND THAT EXACTLY WHAT THE PCM DOES IS RELEARN THE PROPER SETTINGS TO KEEP FROM STALLING
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will let you know the outcome. It will likely take a couple days to get a PCM.

Thanks....

OK
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sean,

Please be patient, as I mentioned it is going to take a few days to determine if your suggestion about the computer fixes the problem. I will not forget.

you can accept i will still be here to help