Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor

2002 PT Cruiser: making a knocking sound in the rear

Customer Question

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser and it is making a knocking sound in the rear. What is it?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  rich replied 4 years ago.
when does it make this sound
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
everytime I drive, it seems like it get starts when the car hits second gear
Expert:  rich replied 4 years ago.
does it do this on smooth roads and on bumpy roads--also is it like the suspension or is it rotational like with the tires--and does the noise increase or speed up with the cars speed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
on both smooth and bumpy roads. It is a rotation. It does speed up with the cars speed. I had just replaced 3 out of 4 tires two weeks ago.
Expert:  rich replied 4 years ago.
the only suggestions i had were the link in the back on the center of the axle--but if the road is smooth you would not hear this or a bad tire but that would speed up with the car and you said you just replaced them--i am going to opt out and see if anyone else has an idea
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.

The most common items that make noise in the rear of PT's are the watt's link in the suspension that Rich mentioned and the rear wheel bearings. Neither of these seem to fit your description of the noise though. The bearing are more likely to make a continous growling/howling noise that is proportionate to raod speed. The watt's link would definately make a knocking noise but would be more sensitive to suspension travel and load than speed. Speed could make it knock more just because of movemnet though. 4,5, & 6 are the watt's link components in the picture. THe bellcrank is the most common part to make a knocking noise in the rear suspension.