Chrysler expert
Chrysler expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience, ase certified, shop owner
22989858

2007 Chrysler: has 54,000 miles..warrenty..van..just getting gas

Customer Question

My 2007 Chrysler Town and Country has 54,000 miles on it.
After about 1 yr of owning it , it refuses to start about 3-7 times a month.
This has become an issue as it has left me stranded a number of times.
Even tho the warrenty has run out, Chrysler has agreed to cover the cost of me bringing it in to a dealership (the dealership that I bought the van from is no longer a dealership, thanks to Chrysler. It always started for them so they were unable to find and solve the problem. Sometimes I will be just getting gas for a few mins. and return to the van and it will not start. This last week it never did start and I had it towed to the dealership in which Chrysler refered me to, It started for them.
I have heard the key and this is common to this van, how come the dealership last year admitted to this and now that the it is more frequent I cannot get anyone to fix this. I still owe over 11,000 on this van and trading in my problem so someone else will be stuck with it will be costly.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chrysler expert replied 7 years ago.

HI , THERES REALLY ONLY A COUPLE OF THINGS THAT ARE COMMON TO THIS TROUBLE,

ONE IS A KEY SECURITY PROBLEM, THE SECURITY SYSTEM MAY NOT BE ACCEPTING THE KEY, YOU CAN TRY A SECOND KEY TO SEE IF THE KEY CHIP IS DAMAGED

THE SECOND IS A CRANK SHAFT SENSOR FAILURE

HER ARE A COUPLE OF TESTS TO DO AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND

Tests/Procedures:1. Test the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) and the Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) on a scope. Compare to a normal pattern.

2. Each sensor has a 5 volt power supply which is Pink/Yellow. Each sensor has a ground which is Dark Blue/Dark Green. The signal wires should have 5 volts on the wire harness side coming from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The signal wire for the CKP is Brown/Light Blue. The CMP signal wire is Dark Blue/Grey.
Potential Causes:Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP)
Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor
Wiring

Tests/Procedures:1. Make sure the VIN is programmed in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and try another key from the customer.
Potential Causes:Incorrect Key
Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Programming - VIN not programmed into PCM.
Security Key Remote Electronic Entry Module (SKREEM)