Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chrysler Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Chrysler Diagnostics

2000 chrysler 300M: battery light..the check engine light..voltage

I am working on a 2000 chrysler 300M it has both the check engine light and the battery light on the trouble code for the check engine light is 1493 battery temperature sensor voltage low I replaced the battery and cleaned the connections while i was in the battery compartment i looked for some type of sensor and could not find it can you tell me if this model has a sensor and if so where i can find it or anything else that can be causing this trouble code
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.

The PCM incorporates a Battery Temperature Sensor (BTS) on its circuit board.

The PCM uses the temperature of the battery area to control the charge rate. The signal is used to regulate the system voltage. The system voltage is higher at cold temperatures and is gradually reduced as temperature around the battery increases.

The function of the BTS is to enable control of the generator output based upon ambient temperature. As temperature increases, the charging rate should decrease. As temperature decreases, the charging rate should increase. The sensor functions similar to the ECT sensor with one major difference, the ambient sensor does not have a dual temperature range program. The PCM maintains the maximum output of the generator by monitoring battery voltage and controlling battery voltage to a range of 13.5 - 14.7 volts.

You may need to have the PCM re-programmed to re-calibrate the Battery Temp Sensor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am looking for the sensor to check its connections and i can not find it did you read my first question
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.
In my answer I told you the Battery Temp Sensor is built into the PCM circuit board, and to re-calibrate it you will need to have the PCM re-programmed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i guess i was a little confused now i think i understand what you ment it will take me a couple of days to get someone to reprogram the pmc to see if you are right i will pay you after the problem is fixed
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.
No problem. Sounds like a plan. You might even want to check your local NAPA parts store. Here on the East Coast U.S. they've started programming PCMs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it is going to take me a couple of days to get the pcm reprogramed and see if that works once i am satisfied i will pay the mechanic he said he was ok with this
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.
No worries. Take your time. I'll be here.