Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience:  24 Year Factory Trained and Certified
12104952

1990 chrysler New yorker: 5th..factory installed alarm sytem

I have a 1990 chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave. It has a factory installed alarm sytem and a separately installed alarm system. When I try to start the engine. the alarm indcator light flashes and also the signal lights and side marker lights flash. When I try to start the engine, the engine runs for approx 1 second. Normally if I open and lock the doors using the key, that usually reset the alarm. Can you help me correct this condition? Thank you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.

Yes, as you probably know, this is the factory anti theft system preventing the engine from running.

On the back side of the door lock cylinders is a small switch that turns off the alarm when you rotate your key in the door lock. More often than not, these switches either just fail, or they simply fall off the back of the lock cylinder......since they are just a push fit on the end of the cylinder.

There will be a switch on each door as well as the trunk......try all of them to see if you can get the alarm turned off.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to remove a door panel so you can get to one of these switches and jump the 2 wires together to turn it off.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could it be possible that the alarm control box is defective?
Yes it's always possible.......however, I have never needed to replace one. These switches create 90% of the problems.
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience: 24 Year Factory Trained and Certified