Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

2001 pt cruiser: s, engine wiring harness and ecm, to install a 2005

Customer Question

What all do I have to change out besides the complete engine, accessorie's, engine wiring harness and ECM, to install a 2005 and up 2.4 liter Pt cruiser engine in my 2001 pt cruiser.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 years ago.
Are they both front wheel drive transaxles? Everything should fit because autozone has the repair guide for a

PT Cruiser, 2001 - 2005 which is a good sign, that alot of parts are interchangeable. Both automatic or manual? I think you just about got it covered what you need to swap out. Hopefully you won't have to have the ECM or PCM re-programmed because of something different. Same fuel system? Ignition?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've been told that I need to change the Transmission and trans. computer, the a/c compressor, the power steering pump, and other wiring. The salvages are charging 1500 and up for a 2001-02 engine and a later model engine for 5-600.00, I don't want any surprises so I need someone that has done the swap-out so I can get specifics on what needs to be changed. might be cheaper to buy doner vehicle if too much needs to be changed out.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 years ago.

Both engines and transaxles are the same for both the 2001 and the 2005. The a\c compressors share the same part numbers.

Year

Model

Engine Displacement Liters

Net Horsepower @ rpm

Net Torque @ rpm (ft. lbs)

Bore x Stroke (in.)

Compression Ratio

Oil Pressure @ rpm

2005

PT Cruiser

2.4

[email protected]

[email protected]

3.44x3.98

9.4:1

[email protected]

SMFI: Sequential Multi-port Fuel Injection

Year

Model

Engine Displacement Liters

Net Horsepower @ rpm

Net Torque @ rpm (ft. lbs)

Bore x Stroke (in.)

Compression Ratio

Oil Pressure @ rpm

2001

PT Cruiser

2.4

[email protected]

[email protected]

3.44x3.98

9.4:1

[email protected]

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Transaxle Removal & Installation

§ 40/41te Transaxle

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Transaxle Removal & Installation

§ 40/41te Transaxle

2005

A/C Compressor
Part Number:
639301, 77386, 77387

2001

A/C Compressor
Part Number:
2619N, 639301, 638826, 78386, 2619, 77387, 77386

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Will I have to change the transmission and transmission computer if I put the 2005 engine in?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 years ago.

The transmission is a front wheel drive and its all 1 unit with the transaxle. If they are both either automatic or manual, then you could just switch either the whole transaxle along with the engine or just the engine.

You may have to just reprogram the PCM.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't believe that they use the same transaxle because the 2001 model has the transmission computer built into the side of the transmission part of transaxle and the 2005 doesn't, the transmission computer is built into the engine control module, isn't it?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 years ago.

Ok, it appears maybe then you have a40te-ae in one vehicle and a 41te in the other. The 2005 could have either which means it has the same bolt patterns, therefore the same bolt patterns must exist on the 2001 if the 41te is on that.

MORE INFO NEEDED FOR: TRANSMISSION FLUID TYPE

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.4L SFI DOHC 4cyl

To find the correct specification, we need additional information about your 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.4L SFI DOHC 4cyl .

Please select one of the following:

TRANSMISSION FLUID TYPE

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.4L SFI DOHC 4cyl

The Transmission Fluid Type

29201

Application:
With automatic transmission

41TE transmission Coastal ATF + 4

Also, here are the engines.

Select the engine of your 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

Select the engine of your 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

The 40/41te Transaxle has a Solenoid/pressure switch assembly connector, Input/output sensor connectors and the VSS wiring. On the 2001 and 2005, the Ignition Coil Module/Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has 3 or 4 electrical connectors.

On the 2001-2005, the PCM attaches to a bracket welded on the dash panel and has 40-way connectors. PCM Ground

Ground is provided through multiple pins of the PCM connector. Depending on the vehicle there may be as many as three different ground pins. There are power grounds and sensor grounds. The power grounds are used to control the ground side of any relay, solenoid, ignition coil or injector. The signal ground is used for any input that uses sensor return for ground, and the ground side of any internal processing component.

The SBEC III case is shielded to prevent RFI and EMI. The PCM case is grounded and must be firmly attached to a good, clean body ground. Internally all grounds are connected together, however there is noise suppression on the sensor ground. For EMI and RFI protection the case is also grounded separately from the ground pins.

The manual transaxle G288 has the Power Distribution Center (PDC) is mounted to the Air cleaner/PDC mounting bracket.

The T350 manual Transaxle has on it the Back-up lamp switch wiring, Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) wire and a Clutch module to the transaxle input shaft.

.http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/specifi cations/specificationsMain.jsp?childCatName=Transmission+Fluid+Type&childCatId=21200280&categoryNValue=21299999&categoryNameForTitle=Drivetrain&categoryName=DRIVETRAIN&childCategoryNameForTitle%20#

http://www.chiltonlibrary.com/ContentViewer/CVFrameset.aspx