quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+years of chrysler dealership experience
17227360

2006 Chrysler: whining noise..noticable..low speeds--..higher speeds

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Chrysler Town and Country with 72000 miles. I have a whining noise from the engine. Very noticable at low speeds--not so much at higher speeds, but there is more road noise at those speeds, too. When stopped or parked if I press the accelerator to bring up engine rpm whine is there. When I turn the steering wheel (still stopped/parked) whine gets louder. I have had the steering system flushed and the PS fluid replaced with a sysnthetic, and the alternator and the power steering pump have been replaced. Today the mechanic who has been doing the work bled the system of air using an attachment for the ps fluid resevoir that is used to draw a vacuum. Still whines. This has been going on for weeks.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.
hello, one thing that i have seen on several vans is the resevoir has a screen on the bottom of it that gets plugged. the only way to fix is to replace the resevoir.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, so that has not been replaced. Is there some way to distinguish whether or not that is really the problem? I have spent so much time/money on this already it is getting very frustrating. Also, I did have the transmission checked by a reputable transmission service tech. He suggested that it could be the pump inside the transmission but that there really was no indicators that that was the case. He felt a lot of the whine was still PS and suggested I get that handled first. He also said that some of the Chrysler vans just have a "noisy" transmission. True?
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.

I dont feel its a transmission issue from the way you describe it, and no they dont have noisey transmissions. all cars transmissions and engines make noise though and is normal.

unfortunately there is no way to verify the resevoir, i ran into one where it was the first one that exhibited this and it was the resevoir that was replaced last and fixed it.with the restricted resevoir it causes the pump to work much harder then normal and thus causes the noise.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So you are saying that other things were done first to fix the problem (like ps pump, etc), but ultimately it was replacing the resevoir that helped??

BTW, Thanks for the quick answers. I have never used this service before, but am pleased so far. Just a couple more questions to help me clarify.

If the pump is working harder, does that make it seem as if the noise is coming from there? I watched this morning as they attempted to make a diagnosis. They used long screw drivers to transfer sound to tell which specific component was causing the noise. Said the only thing really making noise was the pump. AFTER this he apparently called the Dodge dealer in town who told him about this "adapter" type piece to help bleed the air out of the system by drawing a vacuum. That was done today (like I said earlier), but still whines. The mechanic suggested driving for another 2 days to see if whine decreases.

Also, is there any other possibility in case replacing the resevoir does not work?
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.
the only other possibility would be a restriction somewhere else in the system but since for the most part its open passages and hoses throughout except for that screen in the resevoir. and if there is air in the system i have never had it take long for the noise to be gone. usually a 2 mile test drive is sufficent to get all the air out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Several forum threads that I have been reading suggest that the synthetic PS fluid may be bad for the vehicle in the long run (actually causing the screen to clog worse). True? The PS fluid was just replaced with synthetic at the suggestion of my mechanic. I need this van to last as long as possible and do not want to be the CAUSE of additional problems.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am going to accept the answer as I am very pleased with your response, but could you please let me know about the Synthetic PS fluid.

Can I add a tip or is it only what I agreed to initially? Like I said I've never used this service before, but I think I'll be back.
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.

im not really to familiar with synthetic fluid, chrysler uses atf +4 in there power steering systems, so thats what i stick to. sorry for the delay response, i had to step away from the computer and remove some doors, from a truck im working on.

if you want they allow bonuses to be added after a person accepts an answer.

quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10+years of chrysler dealership experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No problem. Thank you very much for sharing your expertise.
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.
no problem if you need anything else, let me know.