Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1999 chrysler: dash lights..the weather is warmer; it

Customer Question

1999 chrysler t&c; 3.8 starting problem; with the dash lights also. Sometimes will not start; but if you hit the dash it starts. If the weather is warmer; it seems to effect starting. Replaced the starter and just put in a new dashboard cluster. Seemed to run fine on Sunday; now monday afternoon go to use it and it won't start. Hit the dash and it started. Is this problem related to a ground connetions somewhere or maybe the security system is faulty and will not let it start at times....help...gene
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
1999 t&c van; still do not have an answer to the not starting question. Starts sometimes, but others won't; to the point of ignition just clicking when you try it. Will start at times if you hit the dash. NEED HELP!!! GENE
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 years ago.

hi

the problem is the plug that plugs into the back of the cluster...you can take these apart and rebend the connectors to make them fit tight and fix this problem[write down the wire location on paper in the plug before takeing apart so you can put them back in the same location....

thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the dash instruments work now that we've replaced the cluster; but I don't see the connection in the plug prongs and the not starting issue??? gene

hi

yes,these will not start when it will loose connection to the cluster,,it will trip the anti-theft syatem,,both are powered by the bcm[body control module]

thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The car would start without the dash instrument cluster plugged in..???I know this because I moved it into the garage with the dash ripped apart. It ran very rough; but started none the less. After the cluster was replaced sunday; we drove the car and when we started it up again; the radio and digital lights for the north/south and radio were suddenly not working. After driving a short distance (maybe 12 miles) all came back up??? I just wanted to provide you with this information, as I have no idea why any of this is occuring. Are these prongs ground connections in the dash?? I am confused--as you can tell, by all the odd things happening here... thanks gene

hi gene..i have seen this many times on these dodges..yes,it will start and run if you leave it unplugged...but with it plugged up,if it hasent got a good connection to all the terminals and if the gear selector light doesnt light up,,it wont start,,,the wires that plug into the cluster comes from the bcm...if you will take the plug apart and tighten the terminals,it will fix your problem

thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry for not getting back to you. Had to work all last week. Am doing the repair today. I will let you know what happens gene

ok

thanks gene

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my car is still doing it as of 6/19/10; and my checking account was debited for the $13 dollars. So I guess I need someone to help me out, since the car is still not repaired and i paid you...gene
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.
have you fixed the cluster plug?does the selector light up now?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what selector light?
that tells you what gear it is in..and the ohmmeter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, they always worked...never had any problem with them...the lights on the bass/treble/ sometimes will blink if I touch them when adjusting them. not always...

ok

can you hear your fuel pump come on in the fuel tank when you first turn the key on for about 2 seconds?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, we've never heard that or had any problm with the fuel pump

ok

you need to check this..take off the fuel cap..have your help to turn on the key...you should hear the pump come on for a couple of seconds..let me know

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
whoops, my help went to bed....i will have to get back to you tomorrow thurs 6/24 any other thoughts on why you think the fuel pump is involved with a starting problem?

hi

yes..these will stick and not pump fuel ..let me know

thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We listened to the fuel pump at the gas tank; and it is working...any new thoughts...gene

ok

so the van wont start at all now?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, its starting just fine. Instead of no starting 10 times its not starting maybe twice in 10 months.

ooooooooo

ok

what you need to do..is when it wont start....listen to see if the fuel pump is running..i think the pump is sticking..these will do this when they first start going bad...be really hard to diagnose with it running properly

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how could this be if it is trying to start? It trys to start and then cuts off. if it were sticking, it would not even engage??? can you check the fuel pump on the dash hook up via the hand held gun thing>

no..the scanner want scan the fuel pressure

thanks