Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor

1993 Chrysler New Yorker: V..time I start..windshield wipers..slow

I have a 1993 Chrysler New Yorker (V-6). Every time I start the car, the windshield wipers begin to automatically start (on its own). At first, it would go back and forth in slow mode every fifteen seconds and would stop after fifteen minutes. Now, it doesn't stop and constantly start back and forth every fifteen seconds. Additionally, the windshield wiper fluid sensor had been on for awhile prior to the windshield wiper malfunction.

Is this fixable?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Yes it is fixable, but it can be hard to pinpoint. There are several cases of what is called phantom wipers like you have here. The problem can be found in the wiper switch, the wiper motor, or the wiring harness between them. The washer light would be unrelated to the wipers themselves. It probably has a short in the connection at the washer tank. If you unplug it from the washer tank it should go off telling you that either the float is stuck in the bottle, or the switch is shorted.