Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

2001 chrysler concorde no fire from coils but have power

2001 chrysler concorde    no fire from coils   but have power going to coils..have new crank position sensor
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Have you also replaced the cam sensor or tested it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not replaced but have 8.8 volts to it
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
When cranking the engine over what do you get out of the sensor and does it change?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
havent checked output from sensor at harness volts didnt change when cranking
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
If the output voltage doesn't change the sensor needs replaced, but the input voltage will not change
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
with harness plugged to sensor   using volt meter red on the orange wire and black on black with blue tracer when cranking car voltage should vary    is that correct?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
It shoud be pin#3 which is a tan wire with a yellow stripe. Any ground will work.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just put new cam sensor in and still no fire off coil
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Did you have power on the out put wire and did it switch?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
dont have tester to put power on out put wire......have volt meter and light tester.....thats why i just put new cam sensor in...no change...
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Take a paper clip and put it in the back of the connector of pin#3 until the paper clip touches the wire. Then put the positive lead on the paper clip and the negative lead on a ground (volt meter) and have someone crank the engine and tell me what you get.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the meter fluctuates goin up and down while cranking
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
That is working correctly. Now check the crank sensor the same way
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
crank reads the same way
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Have you replaced the asd relay?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i swapped it out with the rad fan hi/lo relay still no difference
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
I will have to think on this a while and I am signing off for tonight so I will pass your information on to the other experts to see if they can help so you don't have to wait until tomorrow until I get back on line....good luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i will wait till tomorrow to see if you think of anything else i'm closing my shop now too.....thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
have any new thoughts?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
any one able to answer this???
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX need to have both crank and cam signals and they must be in sync. what motor is in this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is a 2.7   in 01 chyrsler concorde...all timing marks line up...
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Then the next thing to do is scan the computer and see if the ecm say" SYNC:YES" or SYNC:NO. Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
does that need be done by dealer?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
No, most shops have the scanner to read this.Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have a otc genysis will that show them in sync?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.

if it has data stream, then yes it should.Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok      dis signal says cam and crank
current sync says ok
crank signal says no
cam sensor shows no
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Is this with it cranking?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
so you have no crank signal or cam signal, But yet is says there is sync? I suspect you have abad ecm, you cant have sync with out those two sensor signals.Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
tim mohr, just got new computer put in and programed and still having the same problem......with scan tool hooked up in datastream mode in sensor testing before cranking just key on cam signal says yes crank signal says yes current sync says lost dis signal says none.........now when you turn over the engine cam says no crank says no current sync says ok dis signal says cam and crank.........
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is any one capable of answering this question?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.

So with the new ecm, it says it has sync? but before it had no sync?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no,, it had sync before and after just no cam and crank signal before and after
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
ok, have you ohmed out the wires between the computer and sensors yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we have 8.8 volts at each sensor before cranking and it will fluctuate when cranking...
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
you need to check the wires for resistence between each sensor and the computer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

this car has a auto shut down relay.....what is in correspondence to this? wires are checking to have good resistance....is there something with the alarm...... the car was ran hot and it shut down on customer...now it wont run....

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.

If you have power at the coils, then the auto shut down is good, you have new sensors and the wires are good, if you dont have crank and cam signals, then this leaves the ecm, did you replace it with new or used? how did you program it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the new ecm came from solo auto electronics out of miami, fl....they programmed the vin and mileage to the ecm and sent it to me........
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
I cant see anything else causing this,I will opt out and let another expert try to help you,Tim
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
Hi Abusa 2000!
I am another expert and my name is Vladimir.
I have used an OTC Genysis scan tool and I can confirm that such a tool does not show crank and cam states correctly.
I had a 99 Cirrus with a No Start issue and P0320 ( no crank reference at pcm).
I intermittently jumped sensor ground to sensor signal , but our Genysis still shown NO.
I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and it started right up, but the Genysis was a stubborn one, even with the engine running it was showing NO crank signal.
You should have it scanned with a DRB III scan tool.
Meanwhile, disconnect the cam sensor connector and try to start the engine. Crank it for a longer than usual time and see if it starts.
Let me know your results.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it did start what could the problem be....it has a new crank and cam sensor already on it
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for trying out this simple test.
I know that is hard to believe, but your timing marks are out of sync.
Unfortunately you will need to re-check it again.
The PCM won't allow the engine to start if the timing marks are out of sync, but without the cam sensor input it allows it to run on a limited mode.
Lete me know how it turns out.
graphic

Edited by Vladgmru on 10/8/2009 at 3:17 AM EST
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience: I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for the help...turned out timing was incorrect due to the timing tensioner failing.....thanks again...will look for new scanner, maybe a modis...who knows..
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome!
Thank you for acccepting my answer and your reply.
I am glad to hear that you have figured it out.
Good luck!
Vladimir.