brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

2000 CHRYSLER sebring: CONV. WITH A 2.5 MOTOR...MIN.

Customer Question

I HAVEA 2000 CHRYSLER SEBRING CONV. WITH A 2.5 MOTOR. CAR WILL RUN FOR ABOUT 20 MIN. AND THEN JUST SHUT OFF AS IF THE KEY WAS TURNED OFF, SOMETIMES IT WILL RESTART AND SOMETIMES YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT AN HOUR OR MORE???????
THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR AND COIL IN DISTRIBUTOR HAVE BEEN REPLACED AND A WIGGLE TEST HAS BEEN DONE ON CAR.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
When this happens do you loose spark to the plugs or fuel pressure to the injectors?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
LOOSING SPARK CRANK SENSOR CUTTING OUT
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
When you say the crank sensor is cutting out are you loosing power to the sensor? Loosing the sensor ground? or loosing the reference at the pcm?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

~Answer Unknown~

The car can sit and idle for hours and will not shut down. It will only shut down when the car is driven. So we have been unable to test that as of this point. Sometimes when it shuts down it will start back up by restarting the car but other times it will not.

Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Try tapping on the pcm and see if the car will stall. Sometimes when the pcm is failing this will cause the car to stall.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We are calling the garage and having them test the pcm like you said and will update you shortly on what happens. Sorry for the delay.

Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

No worries.....

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

---Some new info for you though ---

----Garage----Stalling seems to have gotten worse since the coil and cam sensor replaced in distributor.....

PCM has not been tested as of yet waiting for conformation still on that

Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
ok.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

heard from garage and tap test made car miss and or shut down.dependig on where he tapped it.

i located a used unit in salvage yard locally from a sebirg same year and motor as mine can this be used or does it have to be reprogramed?

Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
A sued one will normally work, but the check engine light will stay on as the mileage and the vin number will not match.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how can i get one programed with my vin and mileage
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
You would need to either get a new one or a re manufactured one and it will need to be programed in the car with a scan tool
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

could not resolve the problem car has been traded in at dealer on different car .

thank you for your help we did try a different pcm did not work and chrysler wanted

$600 for rebuilt one. i was not will ing to chance it not curing the problem.

i will accept your help and thanks again

bill ryan

Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

Ok......

Thanks,

JB