brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

How to replace rear brake pads on 2008 Town and Country

Customer Question

How to replace rear brake pads on 2008 Town and Country?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

Here is the information to replace the pads:

1. Raise and support vehicle..

1. Remove wheel mounting nuts (3), then tire and wheel assembly (1).

CAUTION: When removing or installing a caliper guide pin bolt, it is necessary to hold the guide pin stationary while turning the bolt. Hold the guide pin stationary using a wrench placed upon the pin's hex-shaped head.

1. Remove two caliper guide pin bolts (1).
  2. Remove the disc brake caliper (2) from the disc brake adapter bracket and hang it out of the way using wire or a bungee cord. Use care not to overextend the brake hose or parking brake cable when doing this.

1. Remove the brake pads (2, 5) from the caliper adapter bracket (3).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have replaced brake pads many times over the years but this 08 T&C has me baffled on the rear brake. The caliper is off and pads removed but pushing the piston down with a "c" clamp is difficult. I don't wan to force it and wonder if the parking brake mechanism has something to do with this.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

Sorry I forgot to send the install instructions!! You need to turn the piston in not push it in.

INSTALLATION

NOTE: Perform STEP 1 through STEP 6 on each side of vehicle to complete pad set installation, then proceed to STEP 7.

CAUTION: Anytime the brake rotor or brake pads are being replaced, the rear caliper piston must be seated (bottomed) to compensate for the new brake rotor or lining. Because the parking brake self-adjuster mechanism is attached to the piston, a special seating method is required. The only acceptable method is by rotating the piston back into the bore using Retractor, Special Tool 8807, as described below. Any other seating method will damage the self-adjuster mechanism.

1. If necessary, seat (bottom) the caliper piston in the bore as follows:
    1. Assemble a 3/8 in. drive ratchet handle and an extension (3).
    2. Insert the extension through Special Tool 8807-1 (2).
    3. Place Special Tool 8807-2 (1) on the end of the extension.
    4. Insert lugs on Special Tool 8807-2 into notches in face of caliper piston (5).
    5. Thread the screw drive on 8807-1 down until it contacts the top of 8807-2 which is against the caliper piston. Do not over tighten the screw-drive. Damage to the piston can occur.
    6. Turn 8807-2 with the ratchet, rotating the piston in a clockwise direction until fully seated (bottomed) in the bore. It may be necessary to turn 8807-1 with 8807-2 to start the process of piston retraction.

1. Make sure abutment shims (4) are in place on both upper and lower slide abutments of caliper adapter (3). NOTE: If the brake pads have a protective paper on the rear face of the brake pad plate, it must be removed before pad installation.
  2. Place the brake pads (2, 5) in the abutment shims (3) clipped into the disc brake caliper adapter bracket (3) as shown.

CAUTION: Use care when installing the caliper (2) onto the adapter bracket to avoid damaging the guide pin boots.

1. Install the disc brake caliper (2) over the brake pads on the brake caliper adapter bracket. CAUTION: When removing or installing a caliper guide pin bolt, it is necessary to hold the guide pin stationary while turning the bolt. Hold the guide pin stationary using a wrench placed upon the pin's hex-shaped head.
  2. Align the caliper guide pin bolt holes with the adapter bracket. Install the upper and lower caliper guide pin bolts (1). Tighten the guide pin bolts to 35 Nm (26 ft. lbs.).

1. Install tire and wheel assembly Install and tighten wheel mounting nuts (3) to 135 Nm (100 ft. lbs.).
  2. Lower vehicle.
  3. Pump brake pedal several times to ensure vehicle has a firm brake pedal before moving vehicle.
  4. Check and adjust brake fluid level as necessary.
  5. Road test vehicle and make several stops to wear off any foreign material on brakes and to seat brake pads.