Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience:  24 Year Factory Trained and Certified
12104952

1999 Chrysler 300M: air blowing..a resistor/power module..blower motor

I own a 1999 Chrysler 300M that the fan blows constantly. The temperature works fine, I just have air blowing full blast into the car. From reading on the internet I have found that a resistor/power module on the blower motor needs to be replaced and that part costs about $190. - is this information accurate? Also now this fan has started making a horrendous clattering noise and since I can't turn it off it is getting worse. I had my friend get under the dash and unplug the fan this morning so I won't do any more damage. (It's hot here in FL without a/c LOL) I found a part called a heater fan blower motor, about $60. - is this the fan in the dash I need? And if it is, do I then still need to replace the resistor/power module for the first part or will this take care of both issues? Thanks for your help!
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 4 years ago.

If the blower motor itself is noisy, it may have some debris stuck in the blower wheel. Sometimes we find mice nests in these wheels that cause the motor to go off balance and create noise. To find out, you just need to remove the motor and see if there is anything inside the wheel. If there is no debris then it will need replacing........however a new motor will not cause the original problem you were describing.

If you have the automatic temperature system, there will be a power module for the blower motor that could cause this.

If you have the manual a/c system then it uses a resistor block and that would not keep the fan running....so I assume you have the automatic system.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok so just replacing the blower motor will NOT fix the original problem, I will still need to replace the power module for the blower motor. I read that the power module is located on the lower right side of the HVAC unit housing which is where? Under the dash as well? Will the module be easily recognizable and is the replacement part widely available?

Yes, it is located under the dash on the passenger side. It is held in place with just a couple of screws and once you have the replacement part it will be even easier to identify.

Your parts store should be able to supply you with a new one.

Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience: 24 Year Factory Trained and Certified