Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  25 years certified Chrysler technician and ASE Certified Master Technician
12365498

i have a key programmer that i use to program key to vehicles.

Customer Question

i have a key programmer that i use to program key to vehicles. i have two vehicles here that need keys programmed. a 2004 chrysler sebring convertable and a 2001 pt cruiser. key programmer is unable to communicate with ecu. have done these same model vehicles before with no problem. tried 2 other programmers and it did the same thing.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
Hello Bryan and welcome to just answer Chrysler. It is possible that the Skim/Skreem module on these vehicles has locked up. I found a Star On line bulletin that talks about this. Try this: put a battery charger on the vehicle and then turn on the ignition and leave it on for 1.5 hours. this may allow the module to reset and allow you to program the new keys.
Hope this helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

Case Number K13618503
Vehicle Issue There is NO RESPONSE or a ANTI-SCAN LOCK OUT code displayed on the drb3 when attempting to program the SKIM/SKREEM key. Applies to ALL vehciles with this option except a few models.;This applies to all vehicles with skim except the Sprinter, Crossfire, FJ's, Stealths, Colts, NS's, & ST's. This is NOT TO BE CONFUSED with a "no response" when trying to ACCESS the SKIM/SKREEM, or any other possible SKIM/SKREEM code. The key will not program
System or Component Will Not Program;DTC / Error Message,Part Caused New Problem,Diagnosis Test Procedure,DRBIII Scan Tool / Accessories;Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM),SKREEM,SKIM / Immobilizer;Interior;Came From Another Shop,Collision Damage;Yes - Continuously
Recommendation If you have verified you have the correct pin, you will need to leave the KEY ON for 1.5 hours then retry the procedure. You will find even if you do have the correct pin, the key will not program until you have done the SKIM/SKREEM lock-out timeout. It is possible the module is locked up prior to you trying to program a key. The lock out will not cause the vehicle not to start. You will find when the skim is locked out you will not be able to perform any function of the skim/skreem that requires the pin number to be entered. If you have done the time out procedure and the key will still not program and you have this same NO RESPONSE/ANTI-SCAN lock out code, you will need to replace the module.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it does not even get to the screen to enter the pin # XXXXX it does not communicate at all.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
Ok, Then what will need to be done is to get a dealer scan tool onto the vehicle and see if it will communicate with the SKIM module. There may be a problem with the SKIM/SKREEM module. I think the dealer's DRBIII is the only scan tool capable of doing this. If the DRBIII can communicate, the check for codes that may be related to communication issues.

Chris
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this does not help me. im not having a problem skimming codes. tool will not communicate with ecu.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
I understand that Bryan. I am aware that you cannot communicate to the vehicles SKIM module with your programmer. That is why I want to see if a Scan tool will communicate with the module. Just drive one of the vehicles to the nearest dealer and ask them to connect their scan tool and see if it will communicate. If not then The SKIM module is defective, and will need to be replaced.