Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience:  24 Year Factory Trained and Certified
12104952

2004 PT Cruiser: the right front hub..wheel bearings..assembly

How do you remove the right front hub to replace the wheel bearings on a 2004 PT Cruiser or do you have to replace the whole assembly
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.

The wheel bearing and hub are pressed into the steering knuckle, so you will need to remove the knuckle and then there are some special tools required to get the bearing out and the new one in.

Here are the instructions....

• Apply the brakes and hold in place.
  • Raise the vehicle.
  • Remove the front tire and wheel assembly.
  • Remove the cotter pin, lock nut and spring washer from the hub nut
  • While the brakes are applied, loosen and remove the hub nut on the end of the driveshaft (
  • Release the brakes.
  • Remove the front disc brake caliper and adapter as an assembly, and the brake rotor from the steering knuckle. Refer to BRAKE ROTOR in the BRAKE section for the procedure.
  • Remove the nut attaching the outer tie rod to the steering knuckle. To do this, hold the tie rod end stud with a wrench while loosening and removing the nut with a standard wrench or crowfoot wrench
  • Remove the tie rod end from the steering knuckle using Remover, Special Tool MB991113
  • Remove the tie rod heat shield.
  • Remove the nut and pinch bolt clamping the ball joint stud to the steering knuckle (

CAUTION: The strut assembly-to-steering knuckle attaching bolts are serrated and must not be turned during removal. Hold the bolts stationary in the steering knuckles while removing the nuts, then tap the bolts out using a pin punch.

• Remove the two bolts attaching the strut to the steering knuckle.

NOTE: Use caution when separating the ball joint stud from the steering knuckle, so the ball joint seal does not get cut.

• Separate the ball joint stud from the steering knuckle by prying down on lower control arm and up against the ball joint boss on the steering knuckle

NOTE: Do not allow the driveshaft to hang by the inner C/V joint; it must be supported to keep the joint from separating during this operation.

• Pull the steering knuckle off the driveshaft outer C/V joint splines and remove the steering knuckle.

NOTE: The cartridge type front wheel bearing used on this vehicle is not transferable to the replacement steering knuckle. If the replacement steering knuckle does not come with a wheel bearing, a new bearing must be installed in the steering knuckle. Installation of the new wheel bearing and hub must be done before installing the steering knuckle on the vehicle.

•  

• Remove steering knuckle, hub, and wheel bearing as an assembly from the vehicle.
  • Three wheel studs across from one another require removal from the hub flange. Rotate the hub to align each wheel mounting stud with the notch in the bearing retainer plate before removal. Using Remover, Special Tool C-4150A press the three wheel mounting studs out of the hub flange.
  • Remove the wheel mounting studs from the hub through the open notch
  • Rotate the hub so the stud mounting holes in the hub are facing in the direction shown in the figure Install the Bearing Splitter, Special Tool 1130, between the hub and the bearing retainer plate as shown
  • Absence of the three wheel mounting studs allows the bearing splitter to be installed behind the flange. Hand tighten the nuts to hold bearing splitter in place on steering knuckle.
  • Place the steering knuckle face down in an arbor press supported by the bearing splitter as shown
  • Position Remover/Installer, Special Tool 6644-2, on the small end of the hub (Using the arbor press, remove the hub from the wheel bearing. The bearing race will normally come out of the wheel bearing with the hub as it is pressed out of the bearing.
  • Remove the bearing splitter from the steering knuckle.
  • Remove the three bolts mounting the bearing retainer plate to the steering knuckle Remove the bearing retainer plate from the steering knuckle.
  • Place the steering knuckle back in the arbor press face down as shown ). The press support blocks must not obstruct the bearing while it is being pressed out of the steering knuckle.
  • Place Remover/Installer, Special Tool MB-990799 on the outer race of the wheel bearing Press the wheel bearing out of the steering knuckle.
  • Remove the bearing race that is still pressed onto the hub. To do so, install Bearing Splitter, Special Tool 1130, between the hub flange and the bearing race ). Place the hub, bearing race and bearing splitter in an arbor press as shown ). Place Remover/Installer, Special Tool 6644-2 on end of hub. Press the hub out of the bearing race.
  • Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Do you know about how much it should cost to replace the whole assembly
    This is probably about 2 - 21/2 hours labor for a shop to do for you.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Ok, thanks and I will click on accept so that you can get your money, I work on cars and have lots of tools, so think I can put on myself if I can get the whole assembly, or do you think it doesnt need the whole assembly and would be cheaper for a shop to do it for me
    If you have the tools to do this....why pay a shop to do it for you.....best of luck with this.
    Mopar Certified, Technician
    Experience: 24 Year Factory Trained and Certified